Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: newbie question#2 - powerpole connectors ...  (Read 1659 times)
BPONG

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:43:49 PM »

i am using a group 8D battery to power my mobile rig - it is not running off the vehicle power.
it is rather large battery... 578 reserve mins, 280 amp hrs.

this is my first time using powerpole connectors.

i am contemplating using 2 connection cords to connect the battery to my radio enclosure:

#1 connection cord consists of 1/4" ring terminals at the battery terminals, and ends in powerpole connectors rated at 45Amp - the wire is 10gauge.  this cord is 6ft long and came with my 4005 rigrunner.  this cord will be connected to the battery...

#2 short connection cord comes from the rig runner and will run outside the enclosure for about 3 feet.  this short cord will also have power pole connectors on it, 45A.  the rig runner has all my radio equip attached to it.

my questions are:
is this simple method of connecting the battery to my radio enclosure safe ?
is there enough insulation material in these powerpole plugs that they will not spark as i am pushing these connectors into each other to complete the connection of power from my battery to the enclosure ?

bpong, va3bpo
VK1OD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »

i am using a group 8D battery to power my mobile rig - it is not running off the vehicle power.
it is rather large battery... 578 reserve mins, 280 amp hrs.

this is my first time using powerpole connectors.

i am contemplating using 2 connection cords to connect the battery to my radio enclosure:

#1 connection cord consists of 1/4" ring terminals at the battery terminals, and ends in powerpole connectors rated at 45Amp - the wire is 10gauge.  this cord is 6ft long and came with my 4005 rigrunner.  this cord will be connected to the battery...

#2 short connection cord comes from the rig runner and will run outside the enclosure for about 3 feet.  this short cord will also have power pole connectors on it, 45A.  the rig runner has all my radio equip attached to it.

my questions are:
is this simple method of connecting the battery to my radio enclosure safe ?
is there enough insulation material in these powerpole plugs that they will not spark as i am pushing these connectors into each other to complete the connection of power from my battery to the enclosure ?

bpong, va3bpo

Your description is not entirely clear to me. If you mean that cord #2 is between the RigRunner and cord #1 that is fine. You can connect them or disconnect them with power on, load on without damage or ill effects on the PowerPoles... but it is kinder to the radios that they are switched off when you are messing with the main feed.

The connectors may spark inside the connector as you join or separate them, the spark is not an issue UNLESS you are in a hazardous environment (eg flammable gases (batter charging produces explosive gases which are dangerous in a confined space), liguids, vapours etc).

Owen
N2IK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »

Fuse the #1 cables both positive and negative at the battery end of the cables to protect against a short circuit before the rig runner. Size the fuse to protect the wire.

73 de Walt N2IK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: