Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y2K Utility for old 386 DOS computer  (Read 818 times)
WB1GSO

Ignore
« on: December 06, 2006, 04:35:52 PM »

I have a 386 DOS computer I want to use for RTTY but I never put a Y2K update into it and therefore it will not show a date beyond 12/31/1999. Because of that any contest logs would be incorrect. Anyone out there know where I can find such a utility or would it be easier to replace the clock or bios?
Thanks
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 07:43:49 AM »

The best utility I can recommend is the circular file.  Get rid of that old thing and get a newer used MB.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:34:11 PM »

hi,
what make is the pc,
most of the big names still have
bios updates on their websites.

or you can check the mfg of the motherboard site.

now if you decide to upgrade, take a look at these
ibm pc just off lease with win xp included and
free shipping.  Nice LCD monitors too.

http://www.ibm.com/products/specialoffers/us/icue.html

You'll have plenty of cpu for sstv and digital modes.

73 james
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 09:17:32 AM »

I don't think any utility is required.  I ran a DOS machine into the new century, and seem to recall that all I needed to do was use the DATE command, with all four digits for the year.  So to change it to today's date, the command would be:

DATE 11-12-2006.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Doug VE3XDB
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 09:19:17 AM »

No period after the year:

DATE 11-12-2006

Regards,

Doug VE3XDB
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2006, 06:21:37 AM »

Many older PC's (including some 486's) have a BIOS that will not allow the date to turn over for Y2K (or Y2K+.)  THAT is a hardware limitation, and the only way to fix that is with a NEW BIOS CHIP.  While it might be possible to obtain a new chip, the cost will more than likely exceed the value of the computer you are using.  (Sorta like putting a NEW engine into an old, rusted out 20 year old car with everything else breaking down...)
    It's also unlikely that a computer of that vintage ('386) has a flash BIOS that can be upgraded.
    Sad to say, it's a case of planned obsolescence.  And it's a shame to have to give up on some of the old workhorse computers because of such near-sighted design problems.

The only work-around is to try setting the time/date each time you boot up the computer; the software may or may not be able to keep time properly while the computer is running; again, it depends upon the BIOS.  Some will let the software reset the time to Y2K+, while others will give an erroneous date even when manually set.
VE3XDB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 07:42:42 AM »

Larry WA9SVD is right, this might be the case.  If so, you can write a batchfile and call it from your autoexec.bat file, allowing you to input the date as part of the boot up sequence.

Good luck!

Doug VE3XDB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: