About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dayton  (Read 7841 times)
WB2WIK

Ignore
« on: April 05, 2010, 07:22:37 PM »

The biggest ham radio convention in the country is still the Dayton Hamvention.

I'll be there!

Hopefully you will be, too...and if you are, give a call on 146.52 simplex.
KU4UV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:10:58 AM »

I am hoping to be able to get to Dayton this year.  I am still looking for working after losing my job a few weeks ago though.  Be careful if you monitor 146.52 at the hamfest.  Always some idiot that probably doesn't even have a license on 52 stiring up trouble, at least that was the case last year.

Michael KU4UV
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:21 AM »

I'm in!  This year, we decided to do the Wight-Patterson AFB museum on Thursday before the start of the Hamvention.  The museum is an amazing place to see....and it's free.
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »

I'll be there on Friday and Saturday.  Ticket is already ordered (saved $5).
W6MAZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:09 PM »

I'm flying from the left coast out to meet my Dad in NJ, then we're driving to Dayton together. Can't wait! Looks like some cool new SDR stuff will be there this year.
W6MAZ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 12:41:16 PM »

I'm flying from the left coast out to meet my Dad in NJ, then we're driving to Dayton together. Can't wait! Looks like some cool new SDR stuff will be there this year.
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 02:26:23 PM »

Sad as it is, I am only 2 hours away and have not been there in 8 or 9 years. I need to go, I want to go, I am not sure if I will though, I just dropped 1700 in the last 2 weeks on radio stuff,.
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 11:59:36 AM »

Admission is getting too high to look at junk.
World's biggest freak show LOL!
I must admit I did enjoy all the carnival hucksters peddling their snake oil products at various places around the fest.
One that comes to mind was a continuity tester that was selling for more than the price of a good digital VOM!!
And that guy was selling em like hotcakes!!

As PT Barnum said

"there's a sucker born every minute"

HAMMERTIME

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:24:36 PM »

Admission is getting too high to look at junk.
World's biggest freak show LOL!
I must admit I did enjoy all the carnival hucksters peddling their snake oil products at various places around the fest.
One that comes to mind was a continuity tester that was selling for more than the price of a good digital VOM!!
And that guy was selling em like hotcakes!!

As PT Barnum said

"there's a sucker born every minute"

We will not be mad at you since you can't afford to go, but do not make it out to be something it is not!
 This is one of the only hamfests that do not charge for children not 18 years old as long as they are students! Most hamfests charge for anyone over twelve regardless of their student status!
DISCONE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 07:43:01 AM »

Hoooo boy! Almost can't resist the 400 mile drive to Dayton to go pick up some more junk!

Hokiness to the max.
NZ5E

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 04:59:51 PM »

I went to the Dayton Hamvention once about 20 years ago.  I was planning on flying my small plane to Dayton tomorrow (Friday) morning and returning home tomorrow night, but there are thunderstorms forecast for Dayton in the morning and for the next couple of days in northeast Arkansas for my return flight.  It is only a 2 hour flight for me and I can probably catch a window to make it to Dayton, but may have to stay a night or two before returning home.

I have several items to purchase for an internet remote base including an HF radio, rotator, LPDA antenna, etc.  Do dealers normally offer substantial discounts on new equipment?  It would be nice to be able to tell my wife that the discounts would help offset the expense of the trip. Wink
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 03:51:26 AM »

The best part about Dayton or any other hamfest for me is getting to meet the friends I have made from all over the world.  I will be spending most of my time this weekend in booth 405 if you walk by wave.

George
K5TR
N9VO

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 04:00:23 AM »

Yesterday was a great day. Beautiful wx and not a drop of rain. Flea market busy but a bit sparcer than last year. Not as much newer hf gear. Didn't see the first icom 746/746 pro and usually hamfest have plenty of them. Lots of ten tec/drake/hallicrafters/hammurland equip but prices a bit high. Tons and tons of motorola junk.

One noticeable difference this year: Seems to be a lot of younger attendees. Also lots more women. Maybe things looking up.

Did pick up a few small items plus a cw filter. Well gotta head over for another round!!!!
KD8MTI

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 07:21:47 PM »

This was my first Hamvention, and WOW. Only thing I didnt like was the amount of people... having to push around a cart with three new handhelds and a bag of random stuff through a building jam packed with people is NOT fun. Cant wait for next year, Maybe I'll be able to afford a HF rig by then!
K0BX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 07:22:11 PM »

Cheesy Just got back from Dayton!  You either love it or hate it.  I had a wonderful time.  I have been going since 1987 and it is always good.
The flee market was almost packed.  Some empty spaces but not many.  Of course it is not like the days in the past, the internet has killed most tail-gating but there was still lots of bargains.  
I am no into used equipment so I spent most of my time in doors.  No much computer stuff which is good.  I did buy a IC-7000 from AES for $1199.  
I went to the RTTY and DX forum.  Both were standing room only.  Looking in the other forum rooms and they all had good crowds.

BTW no rain!!!!  Friday was a bit overcast but Saturday was bright an sunny.  Just excellent weather.
There were several vendors doing very well selling Morse code keys.  CW is not dead.
Hotel rooms prices were down.  There was a lot of new hotels.  We had a suite with 2 bedrooms, full kitchen and living room for $76.00 a night!

Now all the things that people said are still true, bathroom stink, food is bad, the places should be turned down but it sure was fun.

Joe K0BX
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: