Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: a chance to get them when they are young  (Read 703 times)
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »

The BSA has announced, as part of their 100 year celebration, the reintroduction of the Signaling merit badge.  This can only be earned from April 1 thru December 31 of this year.

The requierments are as follows:

1.Make an electric buzzer outfit, wireless, blinker, or other signaling device. Send and receive in the International Morse Code, by buzzer or other sound device, a complete message of not less than 35 words, at a rate of not less than 35 letters per minute.
2.Demonstrate an ability to send and receive a message in the International Morse Code by wigwag and by blinker or other light signaling device at a rate of not less than 20 letters per minute.
3.Send and receive by Semaphore Code at the rate of not less than 30 letters per minute.
4.Know the proper application of the International Morse Code and Semaphore Codes; when, where, and how they can be used to best advantage.
5.Discuss briefly various other codes and methods of signaling which are in common use.

A few of these requierments should be easy to knock out, the only one that might be a problem would be the Semaphore requierments.

A statistic that I've heard for years is that after surveying former boy scouts, they found out that 75-80% (I don't remember the exact numbers) have a life long hobby that they got introduced to by working on merit badges as a boy scout.  That means that if you would work on this in conjuction with the radio merit badge, you might be able to get a few cw ops out of it.

Joel
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:38:58 AM »

and here is a link to all the information

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/Home/BoyScouts/AdvancementandAwards/MeritBadges/2010_mb_signaling.aspx
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »

That is excellent. Comments to this new BSA merit badge, both positive and negative, should be interesting.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:12:43 PM »

I got my Signaling merit badge in about 1956. Audible Morse, flashing light, wigwag and semaphore.  I'm going to check with the local Council to see if they need counselors!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:15:38 PM »

The centennial year historical merit badges program is attractive. In addition to Signaling, Carpentry is offered with the 1911 non-power tool requirements, and the discontinued Pathfinding and Tracking badges are restored for the year under the riginal requirements. Pathfinding is harder today. It involves things that are going to be interesting, like finding the nearest livery stable, blacksmith shop, and telegraph office (good luck!), and the approximate number of pigs on the five nearest farms.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: