Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: scwerdrive HIGH SIERRA SMALL MOBLIE HF ANTENNA  (Read 538 times)
WA2BOB

Ignore
« on: April 09, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »

CAN SOME ONE HELP ME FOR DAY'S NOW I HAVE BEING TRYING TO SETUP MY HIGH SIERRA HF ANTENNA ON THE REAR TIRE RACK ON CHEVY ZR2BLAZE BUT THE SWR WILN'T GO UNDER A 2 OR HIGH CAN NOT GET DOWN TO 1.2/1.4/1.5 SWR I TRY GROUNDING IT BUT NOTHING WORKS MY TRUCK IS GROUND FROM TOP TO BOTTEN REMOVE GROUND STILL SWR 2 NEED HELP

FROM BOB
                 SERPICO383@YAHOO.COM
WT0A

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 03:03:46 PM »

What are you using to match the 20-30 impedance of that antenna to the feedline?
Glen
WA2BOB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:24:09 PM »

RG 213 CABLE
K9WJL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 06:15:42 PM »

Check out K0BG's site (www.k0bg.com)
Look specifically at the section titled "antenna matching".
 You'll learn about how to build, install and tune a matching coil for your antenna.
 BTW, my HS-1800 came with the coil already mounted on the bracket. I just had to stretch it out a bit, and following Alan's guide, I was up and running with a matched antenna which also has low SWR.
Bill K9WJL
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 04:27:34 AM »

Thanks for the kudos Bill.

There is no reason to use anything larger than RG8X in a mobile, even when running high power. Fact is, it is very difficult to properly choke RG8 sized cables. Look on my web site under Common Mode.

WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »

What band or bands are you having this matching problem on?
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 06:34:51 PM »

I have installed a couple of High Sierras in my time.
Most of the time it's a matter of overlooking something or trying to re engineer the install.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 05:57:35 AM »

Gee, people seem to be having a lot of problems with these large, expensive, motorized, giant coiled, wonder antennas. That is why I don't use them! See if you can get a refund.

Just out of curiosity, did you hit a tree limb or a drive through overhang with it?
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 06:27:17 AM »

No, antennas of all types are not plug and play, nor is life.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 07:07:57 AM »

For the money they charge for them, $400 up, you would think they would be plug and play. At least install and play, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Why wasn't the assembly complete as shipped? What about those later coil motor repairs? I have a small fan that has lasted three generations and probably sold for $5.00, not $500 and it is still working. The fan is plug and play, by the way. So much for modern antenna engineering.

Maybe he can get a refund.
W7KKK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »

So you think that if you purchase a $10k radio it's plug and play?
There is no relationship to price and easy of operation or installation.
You may be in the wrong hobby.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 07:16:19 PM »

Actually, I am in exactly the right hobby, because I enjoy building many of my own antennas out of junk that perform better, in many cases, than commercial antennas costing hundreds of dollars. Its not my fault that many of these complex high dollar factory made antennas fail to perform when assembled or fall apart shortly thereafter. If you have to re engineer the expensive antenna to get it to work, why was it expensive? I guess hams who waste money like that try to find a way to justify it.

A $20.00 dipole would perform better than these expensive screwdriver antennas on the low bands and would be a lot safer in use. Drive to a hill and park. Slingshot a line into a tree. Get the dipole out of the trunk, hang it and start talking. Good "hang and play" cheap!  

Since it would be very dangerous to drive down the road trying to tune the antenna, adjust HF SSB and talk on the radio (and that would be the primary reason for owning a motorized screwdriver). Who are you trying to kill with that stunt? Is it that important to talk to another old retired ham on 80 meters who lives three states away in a trailer park, while you are driving? That will get you killed and probably other innocent people.  

Maybe your are in the wrong hobby if you have to spend a small fortune and endanger others to enjoy it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: