Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-7000 or IC-7200 ?  (Read 5220 times)
KD0TRG

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2010, 12:21:09 PM »

Looking for Mobile/Potable HF, HF is all I want.

I've owned the IC-7000 and found it to be a good HF transiever.  If I judge by weight then the IC-7200 wins hands down, I also like the speaker being on the front panel pointing towards.

Any one have anything to share as a comparision between the two radios?

Thanks, KC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 12:39:39 PM »

About the only real difference in base station use is the speaker.

From a technical aspect, there are several things missing on the 7200 when compared to the 7000 (no color screen, no video out, etc.), but the 7000 does have a 6 kHz roofing filter. If you set the two radios together on an A/B switch, you almost cannot tell the difference. If it has say 3 kHz roofing filter, you might tell some difference. In either case, in a mobile scenario, the difference would be moot.

Personal opinion: The 7200 is butt ugly.

NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

IC-7200 claims to have RF speech processor while speech compression in IC-7000 is unimpressive. This may be 3-5 db difference on transmit.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 07:18:02 PM »

If you sit down and look at the schematics, the difference between the two is all but moot.

With respect to compression verses speech processing verses speech clipping; if they're not adjusted correctly, the end result is excessive IMD. I venture to say, not one in 50 amateurs get the settings correct (no matter the 'system'), and when they don't, they won't listen to anyone who disagrees with their adjustment synopses.

As for the 7000; if you close talk the mic as you should, and leave the factory default settings as they are, you won't need any compression or any other enhancement.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: