Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ARRL Website  (Read 1933 times)
W1BVV

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »

Any comments on the new ARRL web site?  It seems to me that they went to great effort to fix something that wasn't broken.  Also I find the sliding side show on the home page very annoying.

I spent 10 minutes looking for a way to comment to them about the sight and gave up.  Any know if they have a feedback link that I missed?

73, Dave, W1BVV
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 09:31:16 AM »

Geez. I thought they did a bang up job. It's easier to navigate than the old one, and I think a bit more logical. And, I didn't have any problem finding a link to comment to them about it.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »

The site favors running a monitor in portrait mode.
It has too much "movement" in the pages.

Now it looks almost like any other site created by a marketing company.
What will you buy today ?

Take a look at the Fathom company website. (scrolll aaaaaall the way down for the link).
Then it will make more sense.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 01:14:41 PM »

"It seems to me that they went to great effort to fix something that wasn't broken. Also I find the sliding side show on the home page very annoying."

I agree. I hate it. Too much motion, too many big advos for their products/books/magazines. Giant "Icom"
add right there next to the annoying slide show. Can't they save the sponsor ads for the magazine and leave *someplace* to go without banner ads?

Liked the old website just fine.

More waste of our membership dues.
Like they don't already waste enough money.
Such their endless meaningless, self-serving, catered "meetings", where they sit and stuff their already overfed fat asses.
KC0SHZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 02:56:27 PM »

I have not made a detailed survey, but the basic page loading speed is better.  Some of the navigation is not as good (the contest corral is less easily navigated to.)
KG6WLS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 03:23:55 PM »

Anyone able to navigate around the site to find the audio news line? They haven't produced audio news for a couple of months.

KG6WLS
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2010, 04:11:49 PM »

The old ARRL site was as broken as broken could be!

To find anything there I would have to go to GOOGLE and search for a link to the ARRL site. The new beats the old by 30 dB.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 05:49:04 PM »

hi,

It will take some getting used to.

http://arrl.org/contact-arrl

73 james
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:40:20 PM »

I don't like the Contest section or the Catalog. Undecided
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 08:08:55 PM »

I don't like it, either. Too busy, too hard to search. I think they wasted their (our?) money.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2010, 03:34:48 AM »

The new beats the old by 30 dB.

At least! Much clearer and easier to use.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2010, 05:44:25 AM »

It looks like they are "marketing" to potential hams rather than providing information for existing hams. A better looking site but still difficult to find information other than ordering products. It took me a few minutes to locate the FCC rules, for example.
N0FPE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2010, 02:43:00 PM »

Looks and works just fine for me. All you bitchy old farts would complain if you were hung with a new rope!!!! Dont like it? Then dont use it. WAA waa waa, I liked things more when I had to use a cold drafty outhouse in the middle of the winter. Just step up and move into the 21st century, geeze....
K6LHA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »

AA4PB posted on 15 April 2010:

"It looks like they are "marketing" to potential hams rather than providing information for existing hams."

Of course it does. The ARRL is in the publishing business and has to Move Product. The Outside firm that dreamed up this design is used to being hired to Move Product.
AA4PB: "A better looking site but still difficult to find information other than ordering products."

Pretty BLING isn't an answer to what the ARRL needs (more members to buy more things) but the high-paid staffers probably eat it up.
AA4PB: "It took me a few minutes to locate the FCC rules, for example."

I found licensing statistics (which hasn't changed format much) fairly fast once they got the rest of it up by the dark of 13th of April, but all the rest is just jumbled around to give the APPEARANCE of "improvement."

The address of license statistics is now "fcc-license-counts." What other agency could it be? They could have kept it just plain "stats" and it would have been the same.
===============================================
I have yet to find any page or sub-page on the website that is really trying to attract non-members (over 3/4ths of all USA amateur radio licensees). The New Look is just cosmetic, visual bling. Oh, it looks jazzy enough but it is style without substance.

Where could an ARRL member find out how many fellow members there are? Answer: Give up, the League will only do that once a year in the Annual Report...if then. Potential advertisers seeking to buy ad space can get member totals but members couldn't. Hmmmm...wonder if the 2010 Annual Report will report on how much this bling cost the League? Wanna bet they don't print that? :-)

73, Len K6LHA
W6TRI

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2010, 10:38:05 AM »

It looks OK to me. Still getting used to it all. Overall I think an improvement.

The thing that flabbergasted me is why this took so long and why the multiple false starts? There's nothing on this new website that should have made it that difficult to get going.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: