Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: signal link  (Read 3605 times)
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2010, 01:54:27 PM »

According to the Icom manual, the connections to the 13-pin ACC connector are as follows:

Pin-2 Ground
Pin-3 PTT
Pin-11 MOD (Transmit audio)
Pin-12 AF (Receive audio)

Are you using a cable with a 13-pin plug supplied by TigerTronics?

The TigerTronics web page has a drawing of how to configure the jumpers inside the SignaLink to work with the Icom 13-pin ACC connector.

By the way, when using the ACC connector the receiver volume control does not affect the signal level going the the SignaLink. You control the digital "volume" only with the RX control on the front of the SignaLink. The radio volume control only affects the volume going to the speaker so you can turn it all the way down if desired so you don't hear the digital signals.

The mic gain control on the radio does not affect the level of the transmit signal. You control the digital transmit power output with the TX control on the SignaLink. Set the RF Power on the radio wide open. Disconnect the mike or turn the mic gain control all the way down to prevent your mike from picking up room noises while transmitting digital.

The SignaLink has a vox-like circuit in it. When it hears the transmit audio tone from your software then it grounds the radio PTT (Pin-3) and lights the PTT led on the front of the SignaLink. The fact that the led is lighted tells me that your transmit audio circuits are working and the vox is working. The fact that the transmitter is not going into transmit tells me that the PTT ground from the SignaLink is not making it to the radio (pin-3).

How is your receive side working? Are you seeing signals on the waterfall? Are you able to copy any PSK31 signals?

KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »

Have been looking at the reciept and tigertronincs sent me a kennwood cable..I need a icom the cable they sent me 13 pin for kenwood. and also a kenwood plug and play jumper   they sent me a 13 k cord i need the 13 i cord.. Went to tigertronics website and looked   http://www.tigertronics.com/sl+main.htm#Part Numbers & Options:  hope that did not screw anything up it works i JUDT HAVE TO KEY MY MIC ..tHEY WILL MAKE IT RIGHT I HOPE.
VE3WMB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2010, 05:19:18 PM »

I believe that there is one 13 pin cable ... it doesn't matter if you have an ICOM or a Kenwood it is the same physical connector.  As long as the plug fits into the ACC jack on the back of the radio you have the correct cable.

I agree with the other posts, it sounds like you have mis-wired the connection block inside the Signal Link for the PTT connection.
I would double check that.

Michael VE3WMB
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »

"This is what it show on there website.http://www.tigertronics.com/ under supt and look on the jumper settings

speaker goes to pin 1
mic to pin two
push to talk pin 3
pin 8 to ground.. "

OK, Geat.
I'm looking at the Icom 13 Pin ACC
cable pin chart and it also says
"PWR to Pin 5"
BUT....big BUT...at the top of the page is says to IGNORE and NOT install the PWR Jumper when using the Signalink USB Model. They also say "If you instal it, it will not make any difference".

So strange. They tell you ignore a connection that makes no difference in performance, but then SHOW the connection in the drawing. Can anyone explain this?

I agree, a 13 pin Din cable to interface box is a 13 pin cable. Shouldn't matter Icom or Kenwood.
THAT's whay they have the *jumper block* in the first place, like the rigblaster and every other "Multi brand rig interface"

Do you have the Signal Link USB or the other model,
SignaLink SL-1+.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 06:07:36 PM »

usb model... I noticed the same thing on the power setting I am wondering I I should try it..Huh
KC8TVW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 08:04:32 PM »

Occasionally I forget and leave the TX at minimum, red light comes on but does not key up transmitter.

Steve KC8TVW
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2010, 08:15:23 PM »

"I am wondering I I should try it..Huh"

Call me a wuss....but I wouldn't.

Possible outcomes:
1) Do nothing.
2) Screw up the Signalink.
3) Screw up yur radio.

#3 is unlinkly but do you want to take that chance?
I know you said that you bought the radio "With 11 months left on the warranty". Actually, warranties do NOT transfer. I know, I worked ham retail years ago. I doubt it's changed. The guy you bought it from would have to submit it to Icom. And would still have to have his receipt from the store, and had sent in the Warranty card.(though if he has an original copy of the store receipt it isn't needed) Is he around and willing to lie for you and sign his name to that lie? Because it isn't a warranty covered repair unless you lie and say "Jeepers, it just stoped working!".

#2 MIGHT be unlinkely. The thing is, since you haven't owned the siglink long enough to become familiar with it, so..the damage might be to some feature that you won't use for another 3 months. And/or it will cause something to go wrong that is very difficult to troubleshoot.

Wait for the proper cable. Call first thing
in the morning when they open and tell
them to overnight the new cable because you are
leaving on a trip an 2 days....andit
WAS their fault. If they say "no", then **ask for
a freebie for your trouble****. Like a free cable
for the Icom 8 pin round microphone (does the 718 use that? Whatever mic cable ur rig uses, in case the
ACC port cables gets lost/messed up you'll
still be on the air.

And I'd still try Digipan as the first digital sound card program you try to get going, NOT DM-780.
I know I sound like a broken record but I really mean it. Learn to walk before running.

The HRD/DM-780 combo when FULLY SETUP PROPERLY will:

Import and display a DX spot from the Internet, let you click on it with the mouse. That will take your radio to that band and freq and mode. Another click will call CQ to him w/ur call.(Even voice) If you get him, it will enter it in the log, and another click will email your QSO to eQSL, Logbook of The World, and print a QSL card (with the QSO info filled out) AND an envelope with the guys latest QRZ address on it. (Oh and if you had a tower and beam, it would have turned the beam towards his QTH when it switched ur rig to his operating fequency). Oh yeah, that's about 1/4 of what it can do. Yes, 1/4. Don't even get me started on contest and satelitte ops features, map, propagation, beacons, etc.

Of course HRD does most of all that, NOT DM-780, but it's PART of it, and really complicated in itself.

Now, maybe it's me....but I think I would get comfy with digital modes with easy, simple to master programs like Digipan for PSK, MMTTY for RTTY, etc, before I had to configure my computer and read the Help Files for all that super duper "do everything" stuff.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2010, 08:29:59 PM »

"Occasionally I forget and leave the TX at minimum, red light comes"
Exactly what do you mean by "leave TX at minimum"?
And is the red light the signalink XMIT light ot the 728 XMIT light, or BOTH?

Because unlike say, my Rigblaster, which needs a serial cable and DTS/RTS lines to key the rigblaster to key the radio....

The Signalink kets the radio when the Audio transmit level from the computer software reaches a certain level. It's VOX is what it really is.
If you really crank the TX level ll the way up will
it key the signalink AND the RIG? What if you put the RIG INTO VIX mode? Does it XMIT them?
(Please try all of this into a dummy load)

Have you tried running DM-780 (digital modes) **only by itself** without the HRD USB cable inline?

Have you ever tried running Digipan with just the Siglink and it's cables, without the HRD cables in and HRD & DM780 OFF completley
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

Called tiger tronics they took care of the issue. What a great company.And thanks to those who did not have a high regard for me for the general post have put that in the past. Again thanks to all. No hard feelings here.Will keep everyone informed also tigertronics said they would send me a module so I would not have to use the jumper wires . And they also threw in a free radio cable  which i did not have to request. Again thanks to all . kc8ktn.....73sssssss  10-4 over and out..
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 05:07:31 AM »

The 13-pin connectors may be the same on the Icom and the Kenwood but the pin functions are likely different and I doubt that TigerTronics brings all 13 connections thru to the SignaLink. I wouldn't "assume" that because the connector is the same it is okay to use it.

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 02:09:17 PM »

AA4PB
"The 13-pin connectors may be the same on the Icom and the Kenwood but the pin functions are likely different and I doubt that TigerTronics brings all 13 connections thru to the SignaLink."

Yeah, ir's impossible to bringin all 13 wires since the other end of the 13 PIN DIN cable is an RJ-45 plug, which will only accomodate 8 wires. I didn't have my "Duh" thinking cap on when I posted what I did about those cables.....

"I wouldn't "assume" that because the connector is the same it is okay to use it."

No, as Bush Sr loved to say:
  "Wouldn't be prudent"
The Kenwood Cable *should* fix all.

I *still* would like to know why the Signalink Usre Manual's Icom 13 PIN ACC hookup shows a "Power to Pin 5" hookup on it's internal jumper block diagram.
But then warns **not to use** it in red lettering at the top of the page. Then later says "it will make no difference" if you DO hookup the Power to Pin 5.

Strange. Or too subtle & enigmatic for my ham brain.
Read: Over my head, haha.
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2010, 09:00:44 AM »

Found something out on my signal link. As I had stated before they sent me the wrong cable 13 pin cable. They sent  me a new one. I got everything up and working. Discovered something . On the jumper wire configuration page for icom 718 it says pin 1 to  speaker it says pin 2 to  mic and pin 3 to  push to talk and pin 8 to ground and it shows pin 5 to power . Important it says not to hook up pin 5 when using usb connection because usb provides power. AGAIN IT SAYS NOT TO DO THIS AND DONT.There is a plug and play module that avoids jumper wires . DO NOT PURCHASE THIS MODULE BECAUSE MODULE JUMPS PIN 5 TO POWER WHICH STOP UNIT FROM WORKING .I purchased the module and plugged it in and it did not work but when i replaced the unit with jumper wires it worked with the new cable I bought. Cant figure out why they show you to hook it up but then tell you not to.I am going to pass this information back to tigertronics...Thanks for everyone who help . Now with the new cable everything is working fine..   73s kc8ktn.
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 02:01:03 PM »

Got a similar problem here! Embarrassed  Using the 718 with Signalink and Digipan is great"!  However when I try to connect to HRD through DM780, it states that the radio is NOT connected!
I've tried various sound card permutations, including the successful one I use for Digipan and still no success!  Any suggestions please?

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

I usually get hrd working first then dm780 ok .
F1HKN

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2010, 06:40:37 AM »

In DM780 from Hamradio Deluxe, verify your option of PTT switching. Go in "options", then PTT  then comport. If you are using signalink interface, the case NONE (via soundcard or radiovox)must be checked, otherwise your system will not switch even with the red light on . If you make a  complete reset of DM780 in the future, always check again this option for it's not the default one.
Best 73 de Leon F1HKN
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: