Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: YAESU FT-1900R?  (Read 11500 times)
K4VDH

Ignore
« on: April 19, 2010, 05:40:58 PM »

Recently I purchased a YAESU FT-2900R. I am experiencing significant "Over-Heating" problems. For instance, in a 35 min. QSO with 10W TX the radio "timed-out" at 151.4 degrees!!! I am now looking to possibly purchasing an FT-1900R. Looking closely at the menus I see that this model has a "TEMP", also. Just wondering if anyone owns one of the FT-1900R's and are experiencing such a high temperature on any sustained QSO's? Thanks,
Jerry     KF4UJA
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:28:08 AM »

I guess the next question should be, what did you expect it to be?

There is a lot of false information all over the net about solid state rigs, and heat sink temperatures. The truth is, modern transceivers are very well designed, and if there really was an over heating problem, you'd already know about it. As long as you mount the radio where is can get adequate ventilation, you'd needn't worry about heat sink temperature. This said, if it gets hot enough to sear your finger tip, that fact may indicate a ventilation problem. Otherwise, watch it with cautious indifference.

K4VDH

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »

Alan,
     Thanks for your input. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply. This one happened to be in use in my shack but will be installed for mobile use. Any radios I operate, whether base or mobile, are mounted with the entire heat sink exposed, enabling maximum ventilation.
     Next question: Why did Yaesu not address this in the manual and clarify that this is "normal" for this particular model, thereby alleviating much concern which the operator may have? Oh, well.............. Shocked

KF6GRI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »

I have owned a FT-1900R for about 6 weeks and it's been a fine radio. Easy to program, alphabetical menu list and loud & clear audio from the top-mounted speaker. This month's QST has a positive review of the rig. For about $130, it's tough to beat.

I have not experienced any significant heating issues with this radio, even during extended QSOs.

You have probably already checked this, but a high SWR can heat up a small 2 meter like the FT-2900 very quickly.

Hope it works out!

jim
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 12:22:13 PM »

At less than full power the FT-2900 should run a little cooler than the FT-1900 as the -2900 (and -2800 before it) have th e slightly larger, heavier, finned heat-sink case casting than the FT-1900 (and the -1802 before it) w/ its slightly smaller sheet metal wrapped chassis casting.

At max power it's harder to say as you're looking at 75(65)W vs 55(50)W nominal outputs, so the chassis casting differences may even out. Otherwise (and possibly the final transistors used?) they appear to be essentially the same rigs.

I've had no trouble w/ overheating of my FT-1802 at 5-25W, even when run is a bshoulder bag/brief case bag -- not ideal conditions for cooling -- though I've not tried using it near continuously (~50% Tx duty cycle) for half hour periods either, so my experience is probably not directly applicable anyway.
N4ANE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 03:55:24 PM »

I have had the rig for 3 years its only over heated on my one time (that was do to not being ventilated) its been a great rig

GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 07:34:26 PM »

No problems with overheating here on my 2900.  As was said, high SWR will make them run hot.  One thing annoying on the 2900, is it defaults to full power, and you have to manually set the power down when you program in a repeater, etc.  If it does not say Low on the display, your running full power.

KD0PWN
2E0JTP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »

I have the FT-2800, which is the predecessor to the 2900. They do get (very) hot if you run them at 25W for long drawn out overs. It's never stopped working though. Just don't touch the heatsink. I dread to think what it would be like at 65W.  Shocked

I get the serious impression that the manufacturers don't expect you to TX at high power for extended sessions. I guess if you are a talker (30 minute overs), the simple solution is to put a 12V fan on it.  Wink
KE4VVF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:54 PM »

I have the FT-2900R and have to run 75 watts to hit distant repeaters.  After 20 minutes in round table discussions it gets really hot. BTW my SWR is almost perfect.   

The heat sink only designs work well for casual use but when you go over 25% duty cycle then they get very hot very fast, especially in a hot car during summer.  The only real solution is to add a fan or two.  My greatest hurdle to overcome is finding a thermal switch to turn on the fan(s) when the radio starts to get hot. 
W8AAZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »

Yea, my advice would be to program the channels for no more than 25 watts output, and only step up to high power when it is absolutely needed. Most places you can get into a repeater with 10-25 watts no problem.  Or reduce your duty cycle and run the AC!  And mount the radio so it has some air around it top and bottom.
KJ4LUP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2012, 12:04:54 AM »

With 5W at approximately 25% duty cycle over half an hour, my 1900R has overheated. It reached 67 degrees Celsius, became unstable and switched frequencies randomly.
I agree with the folks here that a fan is mandatory. Installing a 120mm fan (12v psu fan from a psu that failed) under it, solved the overheating issues.
A fan should have been included its design or outfitted with a better heatsink but I guess its built down to a price....

9Z4CY / KZ4CY  formally KJ4LUP
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2012, 06:27:01 AM »

"in a 35 min. QSO with 10W TX"

Are you saying that you had the radio keyed up for the full time or just some percentage of the time?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: