Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ANY WAY TO UPGRADE FT-990 WITH ROM VER 1.2?  (Read 1815 times)
KC2PMX

Ignore
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:30:55 AM »

Hi, I just purchased an FT-990 in great condition but with the old Ver 1.2 Rom which I've heard won't allow me to connect to a computer. I called Yaesu and they no longer perform the upgrade or sell the chip. Any idea of where to purchase the chip from a 3rd party? Or is there any other way to upgrade to Ver 1.3? The radio has a great receiver but would love to connect to the computer.
Thanks,
John KC2PMX
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 12:33:19 AM »

You can control an FT-990 with a rev 1.2 ROM; the problem is that requesting the transceiver's status returns a block of 1492 bytes. Give serial port speeds, this makes real-time frequency and mode monitoring impractical, but won't stop you from setting the transceiver's frequency and mode from your PC.

Dave, AA6YQ
KC2PMX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 01:18:29 PM »

Thanks Dave, I was under the impression none of the newer software programs could work with Rom Ver 1.2 I'm still waiting for the Cat cable but I'll hook it up & see what I get. I'm using Mac Logger DX & I was just hoping I wouldn't have to manually enter the frequencies & mode on every contact.  
AE6XO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 09:53:25 PM »

Hi

I am also working with an FT-990 and can control it from the PC, but am having trouble getting it to control a SteppIR antenna control box.  How do you tell which firmware version you have in the FT-990?
KC2PMX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 10:44:30 AM »

Just hold the 1.5 MHz & 7MHz band keys (The yellow labelled 1 & 3 Keys)  while powering up the transceiver. This performs the Las Vegas Diagnostic Test. After the test Yeasu will be displayed followed by the Rom Version #. By the way the radio can't seem to comunicate at all with Rom ver 1.2. I've tried everything. The Cat System Light Just flashes & I loose audio for a few seconds but the computer can't get any data. It just keeps trying and then after several attempts disconnects. If anybody knows of another source for the 1.3 chip please let me know.
KC2PMX
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: