Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking apart a CDE Ham III Dare I go there?  (Read 2701 times)
N9MXY

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 01:30:42 PM »

Last Month I disassembled a AR44, cleaned the positioning resistor and cleaned, lubed the ball bearings. I got it back together without too much difficulty and it's turning my TV antenna now.  I also have a old Ham III that is completely functional but I'm sure could use cleaning and lubing of the bearings if nothing else. I'm concerned about the added complexity of the braking mech. If there is anyone out there who has done both that can put my fears to rest or tell me to suck it up and send it to Norm's?
AI4NS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »

I reworked a Ham IV a while back. Pretty simple. Just make sure you watch where the bearings go...
I had to rewire the control cable, as it was severely corroded, and the position rheostat needed cleaning as well. The only problem I had with reassembly was getting the position lever on the top of the rotator to line up between the metal tangs on the top.

Mike
AI4NS
NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 10:31:20 AM »

One way to keep those bearings from turning your shop into a pachinko machine is pull the unit apart inside a 5 gal. bucket. When reassembling the bearing holders, use enough grease to hold them in place while fitting the halves back together. It's a good rainy afternoon project.
W9CN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 07:49:11 PM »

Brilliant on using a 5 gal bucket.

When I worked on a couple of them in the 70's I chased the ball bearing all over the shop floor..

And the grease trick works really good to aid in re-assembly.

Mike Pappas
W9CN
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:06 AM »

If the rotor is more than a few years old, be sure to have a new bearing retaining ring on hand for reassembly. The plastic rings get brittle and often break into pieces when removing them. Cheap insurance.
K2OWR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 12:28:23 PM »

:::: There are a number of rotor reconditioning shops that charge a flat rate and do a beautiful job of restoring one to practically brand new. They have all the parts and will likely notice and repair things you may not see.  Try Norm's rotor repair on the net.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 01:05:57 PM »

Last time I had rotor problems I purchased a rebuilt unit from Norm so I could just go up and replace it all in one day. I then sent the old one back to Norm and got a refund. It cost a bit more than just sending it in for repair, but this way I didn't have the antenna sitting on the ground for two weeks.

I've also rebuilt a Ham IV myself. It's not that big of a deal if you have the time and a place to work and to keep your disassembled unit while you wait for parts.
K0UA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 02:28:12 PM »

No problem with taking apart and putting together the Ham III   I used a large clean cooking pot, for the "catcher"  but same idea as the 5 gal bucket.  Be sure to use low temp grease when you re-assemble.  I think I got it from Norms, or some other rotor re-builder.  Makes a world of difference, when the temp is low, it still spins like its July! It is kind of expensive, but sure worth the money.. be sure to clean all of the old grease out.. I used wd40, put the nylon retainers in a pan and soaked them.
Good Luck and have fun
Jim K0UA
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:58:29 PM »

Thanks Guys! I was just concerned about the wedge brake assembly coming apart when I took the bell off. Yeah, lining up that guide to the direction pot when going back together is the tricky part. Took me 2.5 tries to get it.
AI7RR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 11:06:15 AM »

I bought a used Ham III sometime ago that needed help. Never had one apart before. I used this resource. http://www.hayseed.net/~jpk5lad/Rotors/Rotator%20Repair.htm

It's been up for 2 years without fault.

73,, Roger
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: