Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ham, New Station, need advice.  (Read 5828 times)
KL2NW

Ignore
« on: April 24, 2010, 04:41:13 PM »

Hey all, I'm trying to get my station up and running after collecting used equipment for a year. I've included pics of the stuff, but basically, I'm running an IC-735 with a MFJ-949E tuner and an 75 meter hamstick dipole (all I have space for). I've listened to the local nets a few times and everything seems to work. I'm trying to figure out the best way to get the feedline into the upstairs bedroom where the radio is. Right now it runs in through the attic vent and I just open the attic trapdoor whenever I need to connect it. I'm thinking about installing an electrical box in the attic with a blank wall plate drilled for a UHF Bulkhead connector (see photo). I've heard warnings about code compliance and I'm wondering how this would work as far as that goes. The box would be buried in insulation in the attic and the plate would be in the ceiling of the bedroom closet.

Pics:
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4039/4549507126_588ba2b43f_o.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4020/4549507074_3d869f7516.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4002/4548871411_46b9578aaf.jpg
WB5JEO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:15:09 AM »

I wouldn't anticipate an code problem with running a feedline any way you wanted. It's no different from and less than what The Cable Guy does during installation. (Other than routing the feedline through an active electrical panel, which wouldn't be that bright, anyway.) What you're thinking of doing is simple and easy. I assume you've encountered some difficulty in bringing the feedline down inside the wall. Or more hopefully, that's more than is worth doing for a temporary antenna situation.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:09:45 AM »

Being that your station is upstairs you might try the antenna in the room.
KL2NW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 09:10:57 AM »

Coming in through the ceiling just seems easier. Less mess and easier to patch up if we move. I tried it in the room, but it seemed like I couldn't hear as much.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »

I'd just drill a hole in the corner of the closet ceiling.

Not only "would I" but I've done exactly this in several homes/apartments/condos.  Nobody notices, I just leave the hole there.

In my last condo (years ago) I not only left the hole there, but I left the coax also, since it was neatly dressed down an inside corner of the closet and then along the floorboards using plastic insulated wire staples, and I had painted it all white to match the existing paint color.  Nobody cared.  Nobody even noticed.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 11:06:19 AM »

What everyone else said on the cable routing.

I'm going to get a little off topic - is there anyway you could put up a wire of some sort 50 ft long or a little better? Basically in almost any configuration as long as it would be some few feet off of the ground. I've worked 75 meters with a ham stick mounted on my balcony rail and supplemented with a couple of full size radials and it was hard just working people at random, yes I did but it took persistence and accepting not being heard by some stations no matter how much effort. Folks make make 75 meter mobile contacts everyday but a piece of wire with a counterpoise wire run along the wall will give you a much stronger signal and much more bandwidth.

Not to discourage you in any way.

Richard
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 02:55:05 PM »

Hole in the closet ceiling is a good idea. Be sure to drill it in the ceiling close to the wall where the door is (but off to the side) and not close to the closet's back wall. That way someone (landlord, next occupant) would have to be completely inside the closet, facing outward and looking up before he or she would notice the hole.
KB3FFH

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 06:18:47 AM »

Why can't you do it in the wall?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:12:56 PM »

The front corner of the closet would be your best bet.  That way, if you have to, it is a simple matter to coil the co-ax up and stash it in the closet--and your station wiring just 'disappears'!
KI4ENS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »

Why can't you do it in the wall?

One could do it in the wall,  its just a bit more work.  Also,  one has to be careful about the radius of the bends.  Probably not an issue with RG8X but I could see kinking RG8 easily.
KB4OIF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 02:38:29 AM »

Is there a window in the room you are in?  MFJ and pane relief have coax feed throughs that work well.  Easiest way I know to get the coax inside and no holes are drilled in anything. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: