Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Motorcycle Mobile  (Read 745 times)
N7JEC

Ignore
« on: February 08, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

I want to install a 2m/70cm mobile on my Harley Davidson.  Anyone been there-done that.  I am primarily concerned with any antenna issues and getting the most gain I can.  Thanks for any help.  73 de N7JEC
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 05:31:38 PM »

Lots of folks have. Every year a Dayton, you can seen nearly 100 of them!

The issue is finding a place to mount the antenna so it has a decent ground plane under it. Most folks use the lid of a cargo carrier which works okay as long as it is metal.

Best antenna? A Larsen NMO2/70BK. It'll handle the vibration, and most likely will outlive you!

Alan, KØBG
www.k0bg.com

K1TAZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:21:55 PM »

Hi, Jim

Head over to MARC-HQ.org.  They are a group of folks who use ham equipped motorcycles to support various charity events (mostly bike rides).  Although they are based in california, they have members all over.  They have had lots of experience mounting radios in Goldwings and  Harleys.

Jeff
KE6SLS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 11:47:08 PM »

I want to install a 2m/70cm mobile on my Harley Davidson.  Anyone been there-done that.  I am primarily concerned with any antenna issues and getting the most gain I can.  Thanks for any help.  73 de N7JEC

Hi James:

I wonder if you did a VHF/UHF install on ur scooter since you posted a year ago.  I'm in process of doing just this on my Shadow.  I'm also adding APRS for a long journey through the USA starting in June of this year.  Would welcome any info and advice you might have gleaned along the way.

Thanks and 73 OM

Jaye
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: