Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 800 lb Gorilla  (Read 8826 times)
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2010, 08:32:32 AM »

The world of volunteer emergency responders is full of wannabees.

If it were not for the wannabee cops and firemen of the world, we would have very few hams, volunteer firemen, or REACT members like McVey.

They are many times just little boys who played cops and robbers just a little too much when they were a kid.

But if it weren't for the wannabees, we would have very few in these occupations.

McVey did nothing wrong

He was simply a poster child for what's coming to ALL who try and exercise their liberties
under this oppressive and unconstitutional government regime

NEVER submit  NEVER surrender
KA1MDA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 09:47:47 PM »

"If it were not for the wannabee cops and firemen of the world, we would have very few hams"

This is EXACTLY what is wrong with ham radio today. What do wannabe firemen and cops have to do with amateur radio? They are the WHACKER element. What does amateur radio have to do with wannabe cops and firemen? Absolutely NOTHING!

Amateur radio does not need and has no use for a bunch of wannabe cops/firemen running around and making nuisances of themselves so they can show off their official-looking safety-orange vests. Ham radio used to be a technical hobby. People got involved because they enjoyed building things, tinkering with electronics, and learning things. What ham radio needs today are more of the latter and less of the whacker. The irony with the whackers is that if a read disater did indeed strike (or someone runs over the coax laying next to the "Mobile Command Center") they will all have to go home since nobody knows how to solder a PL-259 back on!

Tom, KA1MDA
www.ka1mda.org
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2010, 06:53:19 AM »

Locally the ARES/RACES group once had on its membership list, a two time convicted sex offender, and a bugler.  What problems could those two pose?

I understand the problem with the sex offender, the answer there involves poisonous snakes, a big sack and a deep river. For the bugler I guess you can have them blow taps or get signals across in a noisy environment for troop movements. <j/k>

With the volunteers I was shepherding there was an extensive background check and vetting process. This was way back in the 80's, well before the current Red Cross credit check deal. Since they also supported the police department on crime scene investigations we had to weed out the untrustworthy element. As these folks also operated city owned vehicles and had access to city property additional levels of checking was required for liability purposes.Cops generally do not like being around the folks they arrested the week before for domestic violence or a DUI.

Background checks consisted of an NCIC check, local wants and warrants and a drivers record check. I also gave the PD the authority to say "no" on any of the volunteers without giving me a reason. That was useful if they had a pending investigation or suspicions that this person may have trouble with the law.

I could give a rats-a$$ about their credit history. It had no bearing on the organization as they did not have access to money or purchase orders.

For the first six months all volunteers were radio operators in the dispatch center. A few of those folks advanced to a radio operators slot in the mobile command post. Some folks decided that they liked the dispatch position and while they received field training they spent 80% of their time in the building. Most folks went through additional training in that first year and became part of a crew on one of the specialty vehicles, EOC staff or weather spotters.

I was always on the watch for "blue light fever". Folks who self-deployed to the scene, failed to follow established procedure or would show up outside of the normal call-out process were weeded out. The result was an volunteer organization that fluctuated between 20 and 30 folks who could supplement local police/fire/public works operations and who had a great recovery/rescue dive team. I had physicists who would supplement the FD HazMat team, and nurses who were also EMT's who would work at triage centers. Even now, being away from it for 15 years the organization is still going strong under the same structure.

At one time I had a whacker who I gave the boot to as he had "the blue light fever". He turned around and joined a FD where a few years later they caught him committing an arson, it was a big black eye for that FD.

It only takes one renegade whacker to ruin the reputation of a great bunch of folks. I had volunteers who have since moved on to professional careers with the PD, FD and EMS. One is now a shift commander at the local police department. Another is a deputy fire chief and more than a few are paramedics.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2010, 10:16:30 AM »

McVey did nothing wrong

Yes, he did.

He exhibited extremely poor judgement.

I mean, what did he think was going to happen as a result of his actions?

73 de Jim, N2EY
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »

He was simply a poster child for what's coming to ALL who try and exercise their liberties
under this oppressive and unconstitutional government regime.

You don't get out of the US and travel much
to South America, Africa, or Asia, do you?

"oppressive regime"? Hahahahahahahaha!

You have NO IDEA what an "oppressive regime"
actually means in the real world.

Spend a few years living in the Third World and you'll
get on your knees and kiss the ground of the USA when you
come home.
KF7CG

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 10:40:11 AM »

This all appears to be of by and for background checking. Well and good. Now my personal 2 cents.

With the original permissions required for helping with Red Cross Communications, I would and did refuse invitations to help from my area. My personal information is mine and the right to collect and sell it is only traded for what I deem important!

Amateur Radio isn't that important! (I happen to love it, but it ain't worth having someones nose in my business for it)

Employment, to the extent that I need to responsibly support my family is. (Again, the level of the remuneration and resposibilty has something to do with the level of privacy foregone.)

The Salvation Army, My Church (God has all that data anyway!), the Red Cross, the ARRL, and most other organizations do not have that much importance and if I can help it that much autority.

So being an independent and privacy loving individual, I find that my contribution to public service is to stay home with my feet propped up! I can help in emergencies, have in the past, details withheld.

Do I want any credit for what was done, No. My satisfaction is from being of assistance.

As for EmmComm people I have found that the original crop that came into Amateur Radio when the no-code Tech license was first initiated had no real interest in radio, but their assistance in maintaining the local Amateur repeaters and other communications facillities was invaluable. Some went on to gain an interest but all were more Emergency Services oriented that Amateur Radio, so be it.

KF7CG
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: