Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bonding to the Electrical Service Ground  (Read 8388 times)
K0IC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2010, 01:18:35 PM »

I would recommend one 20-foot outdoor ground.  I suppose the more other grounds added twice the distance of the ground rods the better.  I used to have no house grounding in this 1920 home until I added a few some 20 years ago.  That did stop the lightning damage.  An electrician added an eight-foot outside ground rod some 15-years ago.  I never have lightning damage since 20 years ago.  The grounds are all bonded to the buss bar in the service entrance panel.  If the soil is rocky then one might need to have grounding trenches and/or four-foot ground rods.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 06:13:26 AM »

When I said a ground rod does not have to be outside, I meant an electrical service ground rod. 

As others have mentioned, a ground rod for lightning protection should be on the outside of the house.
AF6WI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 11:04:15 AM »

Any suggestions for a ham shack on the 3d floor of a townhouse? I'm not near any metal pipes, water or gas. I'm on the outside wall of the house and have one electrical outlet behind my desk with my radios on the desk.

I run my radios from a power supply that gives 13.8VDC to a rigrunner-style power strip. The power supply has the three-prong plug into the wall outlet.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: