Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CAN SPYWARE REMOVER TAKE OUT HARD DRIVE?  (Read 484 times)
KC9LKW

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »

Me and my wife where having trouble with our computer so i ordered a spyware remover( counterspy v2) and it found a few trojan downloaders. After taking them out,used the computer as usual. The next time i went to turn my computer on, it would not boot up. I tried everything. I did the diognostics test and it pointed to a bad hard drive. This computer isn't quite 2 years old and is a dell inspiron 1200. could the program have been the this that done it? I have heard that some viruses will self distruct your computer when you try to remove them.

Thanks
                                 KC9LKW

W5GA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 09:45:28 AM »

There are some virii that will erase data, and you MAY (emphasize may) have one.  They  won't destroy your drive.  Without more info, it's hard to say what is going on.  You say your diagnostics point to the hard drive...what is the exact error message?  What operating system are you using?

It could be a coincidental hard drive failure, or it could be that just your iteration of Windows (assuming that's what you have) is bad as installed on your hard drive.

Need more info!
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 10:17:46 AM »

Try resintalling the operating system software; usually they'll only replace files that are corrupted and leave the rest of your settings alone.

If the hard drive is dead then that's just a coinsidence with you also using the spyware program.
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:05:31 PM »

Some times the connection to the hard drive gets loose or corroded.  Try simply disconnecting and and reconnecting the cable and power to the hard drive unit.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 05:15:21 PM »

A virus won't destory hardware.  It can wreck havoc on your software, operating system, and files, but not destroy your hardware.  Can you boot into Safe Mode at all?  Hold down F8 (or F5, I forget, but try F8 first) when you boot up your computer and select "safe mode."  This may allow you to boot the computer.  If you have antivirus software installed, which every computer should, run a scan and see if it detects anything.  If worse comes to worse, just format the hard drive (recommended).  I posted instructions on how to do so under the "Dell Dimension 2350" post under this section (computers and software).

Good luck!

73 de KB3LSR
KC9LKW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 05:52:21 AM »

I did a reinstall on this computer and another i was having a problem with. Both are working now. Thanks all.
VE3LXL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 01:55:30 PM »

Since you've solved the problem, I'm just posting this for anyone else who may have similar issues.

First, it is not possible for a virus, which is software, to physically damage the hard disk. What the virus can do is to corrupt critical data on the hard disk, thereby destroying the operating system's ability to boot. In very serious cases, the only fix for this is to reformat the disk and to reinstall the operating system, but rest assured that your hard disk has not suffered any physical damage because of the virus.

Second, spyware and viruses are different things, and a spyware remover doesn't usually remove viruses. There is some overlap between the two categories, as with the trojans you found, but generally anti-spyware programs will not remove viruses. To get rid of viruses, you need to install anti-virus software, like the ones from Symantic, McAffee, or Grisoft. So the sorts of viruses that are capable of wrecking your operating system will not normally even be targeted by anti-spyware software.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: