Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ARRL LOTW  (Read 934 times)
W4MDL

Ignore
« on: October 16, 2003, 03:03:47 AM »

This is my review of LOTW. Just wondering if anyone else is as frustrated as I?

Great idea but too late for the party. ARRL should have jumped in and created a better eqsl.cc with those chaps which is a much better system then this thing.

This whole program requires so much security that the pentagon is knocking on ARRL's door. WHY? IT'S A HOBBY!

The uploading .adi tool works great but the other program that deals with all the "signing" security features is full of fun for all.

I had to change from Mandrake 9.0 Linux to Redhat 9.0 Linux just to get the programs that this requires to be loaded first to install. After some callsign confusing problems ("W4" living in "KH6" land) we finally got the certificate loaded with tech support's help. After that I loaded my log which went smooth, BUT, I am in KH6 and I show up as KH6/W4MDL in everyones log, so here we go again. When trying to start the new cert, the program crashed and has never started again. Something to do with those other programs it requires.

Why does it have to be this complex?! So goodbye to my beloved Linux and back to windows for one LITTLE BITTY program. After installing windows for this thing, I found I can't even use my old cert files. I HAVE TO DO IT ALL FROM THE TOP!!!!!

I will continue to try to get this up for "the other guy" to get there Hawaii credit, but my ARRL dues are officialy going to eqsl.cc from now on. If QSL'ing is not important to you, its not worth the frustration. Thats maginified for Linux users.  
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 06:23:22 PM »

Dropping from the ARRL is not the answer. I agree that the LOTW is a dupe of the eQSL.cc site and not as good. It is a NIH syndrome that I don't like the ARRL doing. If no one uses the LOTW and tells them why, maybe the ARRL will get the message. But, I doubt it. I logged into the LOTW and dumped it as too unwieldly as well. Other than that, we still need the ARRL to represent us in other areas.
Frank
KL7IPV
W4MDL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 10:53:51 PM »

Don't get me wrong, its not just LOTW, but LOTW got me back in lately. I am upset at there QSL Buro polices compared to other nations Radio Leagues, and that they seem obsessed with money making sceams over rocking the boat for issues that the major population of membership supports. It just seems that for every great thing the ARRL does for ham radio, it takes two steps back on other issues.

As for LOTW, you hit it on the head. It is just to big and crazy. And we are the kind of hams it needs to be succesful. KL7 and KH6 (and REAL DX for that matter) must use it to make it work well. An average ham may find it just fine, but it is just another headache for us. I was hoping to really use it as an easy way for others to confirm Hawaii. That is what is fun for me. Giving someone that new one.
RFSOAKED

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2003, 01:05:46 AM »

I hope you get it working, i know it took me long enough.  Almost a month of email back and forth with the softwares creator, and it still took time to get it working on my own.  I reinstalled windows thanks to a runtime error that flooded through the system after installing and receiving the error from TQSL.  It was all downhill from there.  

Finally after two reinstalls of WinXP and two postcards from the ARRL sitting on the desk, i finally managed to upload my log, which hasn't been processed yet and i have been waiting a week.  Oh well, so much for convenient.

WB8NUT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2003, 10:18:02 PM »

Wow, can't understand the problems as I went through the installation painlessly.  With only 614 QSOs loaded so far, I have 54 QSLs and 6 countries.  Not too bad for a system that is 6 weeks old.  It is growing faster than eQSL, and the credits go to real awards from an established and recognized national organization.  Better things are coming, but so far it is easy, great to use and easy to install.
KJ5XX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2003, 12:56:08 AM »

Well after reading the experience with LOTW from several others, I had to reply.

I'll also admit that for something that's supposed to be for a hobby, the ARRL has gone a bit overboard with the security thing. I think the guys at eqsl.cc got it right on that one.  But here's what's really got me bugged about LOTW.  After uploading nearly 700 QSOs, I checked back and found that I only have matches on 10 !  Now, I know that I've been guilty of some careless logging at times (wrong band when switching and forgetting to change the setting in Logger, or perhaps wrong mode), but my logging program sets the time I logged the contact, so I know I can't be that far off.

I'm wondering if my "hit rate" is so low because this thing just hasn't caught on with that many hams yet.  I tend to work more DX than stateside contacts, so I'm curious - has anyone else had this experience?
K8RBW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 03:53:36 PM »

I am a computer novice and have tried to install LoTW, but I have been singularly unsucessful. I have managed to get as far as receiving a password on a postcard through the mail, but I am not able to succesfully load the certificate. I tried to call ARRL, but got nothing more than a recorded message stating that LoTW was in high demand and they were not able to answer calls and that all requests for help should be sent via e-mail.  I sent an e-mail explaining my diffculty and what my computer was saying, but I have received no response.  I asked them, if possible, to call me.  Is anyone willing to attempt to talk me through the installation on the phone.  If so, please provide me with your phone number and I am forever your slave.  Mni tnx.
Dick
K8RBW
K8RBW@arrl.net
Richardjwiltgen@aol.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: