Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: /mm ?  (Read 4472 times)
AF4XK

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

Hello guys.

I should know this but I don't.

I'm referring to the /mm after a call sign.
/p is portable ( i think this is the guy making contacts while hiking or such).
/m is mobile
/qrp  low power.
/mm   Huh  now what is this ??

thanks.
chuck
af4xk
KC0THP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 07:42:15 PM »

Maritime moble?
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 07:43:13 PM »

Think "maritime mobile"; boats.

N7ZAL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 08:11:14 PM »

Yep, Maritime Mobile as in boats or ships.

Later, Bill N7ZAL (ex. WA2DPB, WB3BOC, N2FWS)
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 08:24:16 PM »

Maritime mobile.

But only when in international waters. On a lake, river, etc., that's inside a country, it's just plain mobile, same as in a car or truck.

73 de Jim, N2EY
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 04:21:41 PM »

As long as we're on the "/ " topic.......

I have a 1 call, and now reside in Florida. I don't want a new call
(although I probably should be in the witness protection program),
since those I might have worked CW/m or that had ever used the
live cross-mode gateway years past, won't know me anymore... (sob)

So.... does a replant use a /4 after the one call (aa1bn/4), or just
let 'er rip and let 'em guess where the hell I am?

For anyone out there that remembers my HF/VHF/UHF gateway
operation, my call had several /'s (aa1bn/1, /2, /3 etc) for the
various ports and BBS in use. None of which were to indicate a
different location.....

So what's the verdict with "/ "use? When is a suffix needed,
when is it required, and where is it written where a guy can find it?

N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 07:08:14 PM »

I have a 1 call, and now reside in Florida. I don't want a new call

So.... does a replant use a /4 after the one call (aa1bn/4), or just let 'er rip and let 'em guess where the hell I am?

FCC rules haven't required such designators for many years. When operating from home, you're not portable, anyway.

I remember when you could tell where a ham was by the callsign - sort of. It wasn't that simple, though.

Some areas were pretty obvious. 6-land was California, 2-land was NY and NJ.

Others were a bit more challenging: 3-land was MD, PA and DE, 1-land was New England (ME, NH, VT, CT, MA, RI), 8 and 9 lands were 3 states each

But the rest of the call districts covered huge areas. 4-land included 8 states from Miami to the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers (VA, FL, GA, AL, TN, KY, NC, SC). 5 land extended from east of the Missippi River to New Mexico (MS, LA, TX, NM, OK, AR). 0 land and 7 land were simply enormous (7 land included 8 states from the Canadian border down to Mexico,  0 land included an area almost as large).

What I'm trying to say is that even in the bad old days, the call district didn't tell you too much about were somebody was. For somebody like me, in PA, a 4 land station could be 150 miles away in northern VA, or 1500 miles away in southern FL. Etc. 

Besides, isn't part of the fun of a QSO finding out where somebody is?

73 de Jim, N2EY
KB8YHV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 10:20:04 PM »

I had an 8 land call for years and lived all over the U.S.  I never used a / suffix when operating from a different region, except when I lived on Guam.  I always signed KB8YHV/KH2.

I know this is a CW forum, but how do you say that "/" on voice?  I always added "portable KH2".  That would confuse some Asian operators and some new folks.  Some folks would ask me if I meant "slash" or "stroke".  I hated both those words and always used the word "portable", it just seemed to flow better.

I've seen QSL cards using the region as the prefix and others using it as the suffix.  KH2/KB8YHV vs KB8YHV/KH2, I never cared for the former and always used the latter.

On a side note, my call is now KB9HV, but I can't seem to login to my new account with that callsign.  I login and all seems fine until I go to the next page and then I seem to be logged out, and back to "Anonymous".
N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 07:55:19 AM »

Back 'when it mattered', Maritime Mobile was identified as Region 1, 2, or 3.  As in "K7IWH/R2".... when underway in the Pacific.  I recall pulling into Kodiak once, while running phone patches, transitioning from 'Maritime Mobile Region Two", to "Mobile KL7", to "Portable KL7" when tied up.

It would be 'nice' if people operating in areas not reflected in their call, would sign 'Slant [X]', for CQ's or First Replies, to avoid swinging the Quad the wrong direction, but I've found very few OPs willing to do so. I was recently answered by a '2', swing the  Quad East to Two -Land, and lost the guy for a while, as he was in San Diego.

dm
AF4XK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

Thanks guys for clearing that up for me.

chuck
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »

Maritime mobile. But only when in international waters. On a lake, river, etc., that's inside a country, it's just plain mobile, same as in a car or truck.
73 de Jim, N2EY

Worked a guy yesterday on a houseboat in Utah signing /Maritime Mobile. Also have heard stations on the Mississippi incorrectly doing the same.

"Maritime" means having to do with the sea. 
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 08:07:05 PM »

t would be 'nice' if people operating in areas not reflected in their call, would sign 'Slant [X]', for CQ's or First Replies, to avoid swinging the Quad the wrong direction, but I've found very few OPs willing to do so. I was recently answered by a '2', swing the  Quad East to Two -Land, and lost the guy for a while, as he was in San Diego.

It's ten times worse on VHF. Either give the geographic call area or the QTH such as "This is W2XYZ in San Diego."

Worst of all, ops who use "wrong" call areas when they put out spots. Saw a Dutch station spotting all sorts of JAs and BVs on six meters yesterday.... highly impressive until you realize the PA0 station is in the Philippines.  (my six meter yagi is hand rotated, by the way!)
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 06:20:21 AM »

On a side note, my call is now KB9HV, but I can't seem to login to my new account with that callsign.  I login and all seems fine until I go to the next page and then I seem to be logged out, and back to "Anonymous".

greetings, when my call changed i had problems too.  have you tried:

http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp  

specificly try:

http://www.eham.net/about/loginhelp#new_callsign

Rob, K9AIM dit dit

PS: I always have heard or used "portable" on voice in place of "/" on CW
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 06:23:36 AM by Robert Johnston » Logged
W0WCA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 07:06:21 AM »

The official, documented meaning of /mm is actually Mickey Mouse.  And you can take this to the bank!
Warmest,
Bill
K9PU

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »

mm = a chocolate candy.  Each piece has the "mm" in writting.  Some hams love m&m's. 

When your flying, are you enjoying the "am" mode? 

Scott
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: