Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange .PDF Font Characters  (Read 690 times)
W0FM

Ignore
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:35:31 AM »

I've noticed that on some .pdf manuals and other .pdf documents that I download, I occasionally get some goofy-looking font character where a normal letter or punctuation mark should be.  Sometimes these appear where one would expect a "bullet" marking features or benefits.  In other cases, the strange characters appear in place of a normal English alphabet letter and is consistent for that letter throughout the document.  Other times my .pdf downloads are perfect.  If there are goofy characters on the screen, they also are printed out by the printer.

I'm using Adobe Acrobat v 7.0.9.

Any idea what's happening and how to fix it?  Thanks.

Terry, WØFM
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »

The document wasn't scanned into a PDF file properly so your reader only shows what's in the file.

Only fix for you is to buy the full version of Acrobat and then you can fix the file yourself and resave it.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 01:12:02 PM »

Thanks Phil.  My Acrobat is the full-blown, store-bought "Professional" version (7.0.9).  I guess I figured that, for the price I paid, I shouldn't have to manually fix fonts.  That's what I get for figuring!

Any way, thanks for filling me in.

Terry, WØFM
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2007, 01:06:08 PM »

The document may have characters from the Asian font pack, which isn't normally included, but (IIRC) is a free download from Adobe.

I had the same issue a few years back when getting the FT-90R manuals in .pdf - without the Asian font pack, some stuff didn't display properly.

Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: