Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Kenwood transceiver  (Read 16495 times)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 12:59:10 PM »

Lets hope Kenwood maintains its historical transmitter IMD performance like that of its past legends. Most of Kenwoods  great radios from the past all had good to excellent transmitter IMD performance. The Kenwood TS830S, TS930S, TS940S and TS950S all had excellent transmitters  which had excellent IMD performance. Lets hope that this new Kenwood uses proper RF Linear Fets with excellent TX  IMD performance. The TS590S has disappointing TX IMD performance, which is a pity  considering  the very good receiver that it has .Another disappointing transmitter that Kenwood produced was the TS870S, its transmitter PA was a splatter producing  junk box. Lets hope that Kenwood does not produce a great transceiver with a great receiver  and then install  a 5 dollar CB Pa in the radio like the Elecraft K3. The same could be said for most  other ham transceivers. I certainly miss the excellent transmitter performance from my old old TS950SDX

The new Hilberling  radio which will also probably  be at Dayton has the best transmitter IMD performance that I have seen delivered from a conventional AB biased PA. It is wonderful that Hilberling has a produced such a good transmitter
without the heat  generated  like that from the high power Class A Yaesu radios. There is no doubt that on the transmitter performance tables Hilberling will be ranked No1 for  TX IMD performance. -40Dbc is an impressive 3rd order TX imd number. What is even more impressive is that the radios high order IMD products almost disappears after the 7th order products which would guarantee a splatter free signal.

While it is certainly welcome news that Kenwood has focused on  receiver performance, transmitter IMD performance is even more critical these since the receivers are certainly good enough and need no further improvement. It
would be nice using a good tranceiver on the ham bands without listening to Keyclicks and Splatter all day long. Many hams live with the great illusion that some manufacturers can deliver radios that can hear through the QRM such as keyclicks, IMD and phase noise. There will be no miracles in receiver performance delivered while transmitter performance stays at the bottom of the performance ranking charts. with terrible transmitter design faults that is makes them no better than 100 dollar CB radios.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

I have a ts 2000 and I use it mostly for 2m/440/6m stuff and uhf/vhf contesting..  I use it mainly for 2 m repeater stuff because the vox  means I don't have to key it by hand. as a general purpose hf rig it does ok, but for most of my hf stuff I use the Orion, or sometimes the ft990. I also had the ft 847 which is compareable to the ts 2000, but no vox, and probably a slightly better receiver.  the TS 200 is a good radio, but not a great radio, but it serves the purpose I have for it.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2012, 10:41:55 AM »

Again, from the K4SWL Blog additional info...

LINK: http://qrper.com/2012/05/kenwood-publishes-first-photo-of-the-kenwood-ts-990s/

Kenwood publishes first photo of the Kenwood TS-990S Posted on May 7, 2012 by k4swl

"When you open your June 2012 issue of QST, you will find that Kenwood has published a photo and ad (see below) of their new TS-990S in advance of Dayton."

(K4SWL's Blog has advance pix for viewing)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:36:16 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 09:24:54 PM »

From being associated with Kenwood for over 30 years I can guarantee he is guessing on all counts. Anyone that leaked anything other than what you see on the back of QST would be looking for a job.

Clif

One thing I find very strange is the "Dual Watch" feature listed on the advert.
It has dual VFO's so it's not Dual Watch like an Icom, I wonder why they used that wording it certainly has me wondering.
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2012, 05:44:34 AM »

When you open your June 2012 issue of QST,
you will find that Kenwood has published a photo and ad (see below) of their new TS-990S in advance of Dayton.
That issue is already "at the printer".  
QST was printed at one of the R.R. Donnelly "Wabash Valley" plants along the Illinois-Indiana border.
I will likely get my copy the week of Dayton Hamvention.

IF prototypes are being shown in 2012 at Dayton Hamvention 2012 in Dayton, Ohio, USA (May 18-20),
at HAM RADIO 2012 in Friedrichshafen, Germany (June 22-24), and at Ham Fair 2012 in Tokyo, Japan (August 25-26) ---
THEN North American amateurs may not see the actual radio shipments till late 2012, early 2013.

Depnding on times and locations of actual Eastern Asia production -- and submission for regulatory and safety bodies (FCC in United States).
Since it can be powered from AC mains (built in switch mode power supply),
and one market may be governmental embassies around the world -- Kenwood may elect to submit for UL, CE and EU testing/approvals.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 05:51:05 AM by W9GB » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2012, 09:39:21 AM »

QST was printed at one of the R.R. Donnelly "Wabash Valley" plants along the Illinois-Indiana border.
I will likely get my copy the week of Dayton Hamvention.

Got the nice June issue yesterday at my QTH in St Louis. Yep. great pin-up pic on the back cover.
W7KEY

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »

Regarding Zenki Shingen's comments on Kenwood, I personally found the TS870S one of Kenwood's great radios as did other reviewers on eham.  The veracity and objectivity of reviews like this should be questioned - the review talks about transmitting and does not give his/her name, call letters or any other information.  Could this be an employee or owner from a rival company? 
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »

Well if you payed attention to the TS870S's transmitter IMD specifications you would have found that the transmitter IMD figures were terrible on the TS870S. What made matters worst is that as you went higher in frequency  the IMD got worst and worst.  The on air performance of the TS870S was horrendous. ESSB stations like the TS870S because of its superb TX audio unfortunately those who uses this radio on ESSB caused a lot   splatter.  The TS870S was a very advance radio for its time its a shame it had a CB  quality PA in it.

Rather than endless worship brands and products, it would be far better if you were technically critical of the equipment and provided this feedback to the manufacturers. These days there is no excuse for producing any ham transceiver with a poor transmitter or receiver. Even the best brands and models like the IC7700, IC7800, FTDX9000, Ten Tecs and radios like the K3 have lousy PA's in them that  have poor IMD performance. Regardless of who the manufacturer is if the transmitter is crap,  the  radio is crap  in my book.

This new Kenwood is probably going to cost 7000 US dollars, for this price I would expect a calibrated S-meter with decent transmitter IMD. I dont expect transmitter IMD specifications thats similar in performance to a 50 dollar CB radio. If I bought  a high end car I get what I pay for. Why is it so  when we buy ham radios  we get low dollar crap performance for a premium price? I suppose if you have no technical skills and dont understand the importance of receiver and transmitter performance you will praise any piece of crap like most hams do, You dont have to be a receiver or transmitter  design genius to understand what the numbers mean and which direction  the numbers should go in  for the transmitter and receiver performance to be excellent. Just harping all day long about  your favorite brand and trying to discover conspiracy theories about critical criticism is a exercise in futility. If you spend the same amount of time studying what the receiver and transmitter numbers actually mean you will find that its hard spinning BS about a radio because simply put technical performance numbers dont tell lies, unlike  many hams who will say anything to make their favorite or toy look good.

The numbers dont lie try and learn something about them!

Regarding Zenki Shingen's comments on Kenwood, I personally found the TS870S one of Kenwood's great radios as did other reviewers on eham.  The veracity and objectivity of reviews like this should be questioned - the review talks about transmitting and does not give his/her name, call letters or any other information.  Could this be an employee or owner from a rival company? 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2012, 11:09:47 AM »

I see GigaParts is taking pre-orders for TS-990.

Click Here

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2012, 02:22:46 PM »

No, Zenki is just an angry old man who likes to stir up trouble on the boards and flog his pet dead horse subjects over and over.   And he likes to hide behind an (imagined) cloak of invisibility.

But, at least you know what to expect from him when he posts. Wink
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »

A dead horse subject that is very relevant. It  a  really subject that determines whether  you have the brains to understand technical matters and how it relates to the  real world performance of transceivers.
Now if you are too  stupid  and cant realize that spending a fortune on a radio with excessive receiver specifications and whose real  world performance is handicapped by  the poor performance of  other hams transmitters,, you  really need to beat your brain cells into gear rather than beating  the dead horse messenger.

Its the many hams who have flogged their favorite dead horse subjects  that has resulted in better ham radio equipment on the market. Its not the ARRL or hams who have kept silent in these matters that have brought about these changes,  but a handful of dedicated hams who have ranted endlessly about the poor state  of ham equipment design. You and every other ham owes these individuals a lot.

Its not then surprising that those with a poor technical understanding and who  cant contribute anything to the technical debate nor support  the desire for better equipment who have nothing sensible to say. They like CB'ers  who will buy anything just because its new or has a particular brand name, brain dead consumers. What do you want to be a dummy or technical well informed ham operator? We get  the dummies in here who cant even understand why its wrong using CB amplifiers on the ham bands, and  then we have your types who have no clue why the subject of occupied bandwidth and transmitter IMD is  very important and relevant. Disturbing for a hobby that is supposed to have technically informed participants.

I
No, Zenki is just an angry old man who likes to stir up trouble on the boards and flog his pet dead horse subjects over and over.   And he likes to hide behind an (imagined) cloak of invisibility.

But, at least you know what to expect from him when he posts. Wink
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2012, 10:46:40 AM »

The new 990 is so busy with knobs, etc., I too have to wonder who dreamed up that ergonomic suite for that radio....way too big....
Receiver performance? Well, if good, that is nice, but there is more than just receiver performance to sell a radio.

If they had heeded what many ops told them repeatedly, "make a current state of the art TS-850 like radio and you will sell tons of them" as the 850 had and still does, a stellar receiver.

Will be interested in the reviews myself, but doubtful I will ever buy one or want one.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:56 AM »

The new 990 is so busy with knobs, etc., I too have to wonder who dreamed up that ergonomic suite for that radio....way too big.... Receiver performance? Well, if good, that is nice, but there is more than just receiver performance to sell a radio.

It is big so that it can have room for big displays and controls that can be tweaked without needing to use a menu constantly. It is also more than a 100 watt rig too.

If they had heeded what many ops told them repeatedly, "make a current state of the art TS-850 like radio and you will sell tons of them" as the 850 had and still does, a stellar receiver.

They did. It is called a 590 and the 590 is secondary receiver in 990.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W7ARX

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »

Unfortunately, the 590 is not a upgraded clone of the 850 but the 570. You have to compare apples to apples.

Regarding Dual Watch, real effective and useful dual watch that I have used, was in teh Yaesu FT1000 series where you have 2 separate receivers and can listen to two (2) receivers on the same signal.  Really makes a difference.  Just using the dual watch to hear a split frequency doesn't do much for me, thus teh A/B VFO switch. Just as effective.  Be interesting to see the final price on the 990, and the 870 was a pretty decent radio for the time it came out.  I would love to have one, but prefer one with more capabilities and options for the end user.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2012, 07:22:31 PM »

Unfortunately, the 590 is not a upgraded clone of the 850 but the 570. You have to compare apples to apples.

The only thing the 590 shares with 570 is basic chassis design and little more. It is a all new design/rig  internally and definitely a upgrade over a 850/870 and not a upgraded 570 clone.

Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: