Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: qsl cards  (Read 2317 times)
KC8KTN

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2010, 03:05:43 PM »

What one of the best qsl card sites . Any help thanks.
N4NDX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 03:25:09 PM »

cheapqsls.com is very well recommended here on eHam.net. Give it shot.

David/n4ndx
KC8KTN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 03:44:41 PM »

Thanks ordering a 100 cards from them..kc8ktn
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 05:42:37 PM »

I just design my own, 10 minutes with a photo I took, photoshop to add the text and I am done, print on demand or take to Staples to have 50 printed for $20 bucks.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 09:14:58 PM »

For that low a quantity of QSL's try this:

Download WB8RCR'S QSL Maker Program here:

http://wb8rcr-s-qsl-maker.software.informer.com/

Once you get the card the way you want it,
orint a high quality copy, size them 4 to a page. Take them
to Kinko's and have them printed on light colored card stock. They
will also cut them up for you on their nice big
"Fat stack of paper" cutting machine.

Don't forget to include a return Self Addressed Stamped
Envelope for the other guy to send you HIS card back in.
It's considered a courtesy and standard practice.

PS: You can even make full color cards using your color printer and
your own digital pics, but it's not worth it.
W6HB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:36:29 PM »

If you want 1,000 or more high quality, full color cards you can't beat UX5UO. Check out his reviews and the link here on eHam. net.
W4DRR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 06:17:46 AM »

I created mine in Microsoft Word.  I buy the blank card stock at Staples, and print them out as needed.  Since I rarely send out paper QSL's, this method works just fine.  I convert it to JPG or PDF for e-mailing.  I have a JPG uploaded to QRZ also.

Bob

Bob
KG6MZS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »

As a graphic designer, I love cards.  I really enjoy seeing what people come up with to represent their station.  The variety is phenomenal.  I do understand that everybody is not so enamored and I have no expectation of a response.

As a graphic designer I would suggest a couple of common pitfalls to avoid if you do decide to design your own card.

Undersampling an image.  Whoo boy do I see this one a lot and usually it is just a matter of ignorance.  Once an image is rastarized (either scanned or converted from vectors as type or other shapes) do not try and add information that isn't there.  Just because the computer can scale up a rastarized image doesn't mean that you should.  Instead go back to the image and rescan or, in the case of type, make the vectors the size you want before rastarizing them.  You can always work down (oversampling) and this creates a marginally better image.  Start big and resample down.  300 dpi should be the minimum resolution considered for print applications.  More is better if the output device can handle it and with computers being what they are these days, that isn't asking too much.

Bad compression or needless recompression.  Use the highest compression number you can from the start.  Again, most computers can handle lossless or uncompressed images at a postcard size.  While you are working with the images, keep them lossless or uncompressed.  Recompressing images at low compression numbers creates unnecessary artifacts.

Bad aspect ratio.  Keep images 1:1 on the dimensions presented.  Don't squoosh and image into the area desired but rather size it proportionally and the crop or cut off as necessary.  Looks much better.

Bad type.  Similar to the one above, keep type 1:1.  If you want an condensed letterform, use a type style that is designed as condensed, compressed or narrow.  Do not just squeeze a regular letterform.  This makes the vertical strokes weak.  If you want bold or italic fonts use one that has bold or italic in the name.  Do not use the bold or italic button in the page layout program.  This creates a faux bold or italic and isn't as well designed or as  strong as a letter that was designed that way.

Color... this is a tough subject.  Best I can say is work in CMYK and proof, proof, proof.

HTH

73 de Eric, KG6MZS
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 09:08:06 AM by Eric Fitzgerald » Logged
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »

If you want 1,000 or more high quality, full color cards you can't beat UX5UO. Check out his reviews and the link here on eHam. net.
I agree UX5UO his prices cant be beat I am working on my first 1000 I got from him and if you goto my QRZ page you will see my card. I used photoshop to make mine and sent the image to him for printing and had the cards in less than 4 weeks.

Have fun
Roland AH6RR
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 08:56:32 PM »

hi,

you can upload your finished card to Walmart photo
as little as $.09 each, 50 for $4.50.

73 james
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

hi,

you can upload your finished card to Walmart photo
as little as $.09 each, 50 for $4.50.

73 james
Why do that when you can get 1000 cards Glossy color 1 side and black & white on the other side printed by UX5UO for just over $76 US shipped that comes to 7.6 cents each and they are fantastic. You can goto  http://www.ux5uoqsl.com/index.php?lang=en

Check it out

Roland Ah6RR
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »

Why do that when you can get 1000 cards Glossy color 1 side and black & white on the other side

Well, sure, that's a great deal and all for those who do use
a lot of cards. But some guys will never
use 1000 cards in their whole ham career. Either they just
don't make many QSO's or they don't care to QSL.
Some guys never send out their own QSL requests, but want a
few on hand to at least reply when they receive one.
They may also not plan on being at one address all
that long so may not want to place that large an order.

More and more hams are switching to LOTW and eQSL
so they need no physical card to mail. Not my preference,
but to each his own.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: