Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Straight Key Sending Adjustment  (Read 1320 times)
WB5NHH

Ignore
« on: May 20, 2010, 08:17:36 PM »

I  operate only cw and I only use a straight key. The straight key that I use is a J38. I  use it for expression when sending cw I have set my key with the spacing less than the thickness of a postcard and the spring tension is such that  I have loosened it to the point that the key closes  and then i put just enough tension on the spring to keep the key open. When sending I turn down the sidetone monitor on my radio to the point that I just can hear the sidetone and listen to the thump that the contacts make when they  close and sometimes more than not I dont put no sidetone at all but just listen to the thump of the key it makes. My key is attached to my operating position. Does anyone who operates cw, likes to listen to the thump of the key it makes when the contacts close but dont need the sidetone or very little if any sidetone monitor. Are there other any other straight key thumpers out there, just curious.
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 05:26:26 AM »

I prefer to copy myself using a sidetone, but at one time, I used a very
simple QRP transceiver, a Pixie, that had no sidetone.

Also, when I was studying for the Novice license (about 1975), I had
a portable shortwave radio with no BFO, but could copy some of the
CW shore stations like WCC and KPH just from the AGC "thump" in
the receiver.

Scott W5ESE
KA1DBE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 06:37:26 AM »

My first rig was a Heathkit DX-60 that had no sidetone.  I use to watch the Meter swing back and forth.  When I use a straight key (my trusty SpeedX), I like a wide spacing between the contacts.  Makes a nice click/clack sound.

73's,
Jeff
IK0YGJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2010, 10:12:18 AM »

Transmitting without a sidetone is a joy for the spirit ! However, it is "just" an excercise.
I must notice that I usually keep the sidetone very low in volume, as the AF out of my rig.
A too loud note gets me fatigued, expecially in long rag-chew QSOs.
73 Carlo

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: