Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Satellite Antenna Question  (Read 744 times)
KO1D

Ignore
« on: May 22, 2010, 05:49:30 AM »

I have bought an Ft 847. With the radio came the 144 and 432 M2 egg beater antennas. I am not in a position to start figuring hot how to play with them and I am curious, do the 2 egg beater antennas need to be close to each other to work well or can they be spread about? I am thinking of mounting them on 2 vent pipes on the roof of my house and they are not near each other (at least 25' apart). Is this an issue?

Thanks!
XE1VE3OQC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 09:11:04 AM »

Wink Nope doesn´t matter. You can put them pretty mucy any where you want as long as you have a relatively good view of the horizon and overhead. Do they have the spoked reflector rods below the loops? If so then the performance may be slightly better overhead on the passes. Good results may come of this, actually you may need to use the preamps on some passes. Try first on VO-52 and AO-7 to see if yo can hear the beacons, if so then there shouldn´t be a problem.

Glenn, XE1/VE3OQC
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:13 PM »

25 feet apart is just fine, In fact better than trying to cram them too close together!
Be sure to use good low loss coax feedline!   TIMES LMR 400 is a good choice for shorter runs, And do keep the coax as short as possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: