Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: '10 Ford Flex Igintion noise  (Read 3655 times)
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 12:30:33 PM »

The Ford fuel pump problem was solved about 8 years ago !!

Not in my 2004 Ranger! I had to cure it myself.
KF2TI

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 05:23:10 PM »

OK I'll byte  I am not familiar with what you are referring to   Is this different than the standard settable NB and NR??  If so, I would appreciate anything you can offer

Thanks

KF2TI
KF2TI

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 05:27:35 PM »

Some updates on the noise issue

Had an opportunity over the past 10 days to put 3000 miles on the car (yes that's correct..3k)!!

I noticed that when I was going downhill, the car maintained its rpms, BUT the noise level on 40m disappears..from s8 to s1 or 2  Under acceleration, noise level zooms up again

RPMs seem to stay the same, at least according to the gauge   Could this be a fuel pump issue?  The noise is steady, not a popping like I remember from spark plugs and definitely not an alternator whine

In addition there seems to be a slight lag, between stepping on the gas and the noise level increasing, but is almost instantaneous when letting off the gas

Steve  KF2TI

K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 06:48:55 AM »

It's ignition noise!

Modern vehicles shut down the fuel injection, and ignition systems when coasting, hence the reduced level of RFI.

Under hard acceleration, the richer mixture requires a hotter spark. Depending on the system, it the ignition may be fired multiple times, hence the increase in the RFI level.

Steady state driving obviously falls between the two levels.

No matter the system, there is always room for improvement in the noise abatement scenario. This may require additional bonding and/or shielding. It just depends on how far you're willing to go.

I will say that some ignition systems are worse than others, whether or not wires are used. But that fact alone doesn't mean improvements can't be made.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: