Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity Call Sign fee going down 10 cents - seems silly...?  (Read 4393 times)
W6CD

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2010, 07:41:26 PM »

Did I read it correctly - Vanity Call Sign fee going down 10 cents?  What did it cost the FCC to implement this reduction?  Discussion and effort to get the change approved - then implementation of changes to forms, web site, procedures, etc.  Seems silly, we are talking a penny a year.

Maybe I am missing something?
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 08:17:00 PM »

Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing there's a statutory requirement for the FCC to reassess license-related fees at regular intervals.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2010, 05:20:06 AM »

Can't say for sure, but I'm guessing there's a statutory requirement for the FCC to reassess license-related fees at regular intervals.
Absolutely true. Every year the FCC has to estimate their costs for the vanity program, estimate how many vanity apps they'll receive, and set the fee at the quotient of the two predictions.

This, by the way, is the reason that vanity fees must be collected on renewals also. Although a vanity renewal is no more complicated or costly than a renewal of a sequentially-granted callsign, vanity renewals are considered applications in the vanity system under the statutory definition, so they are subject to the same fee.
K7TUX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 01:43:14 PM »

Where is the link for this information?  I hadnt heard of any change.. and .10$?  That doesn't make any sense, but then again, who knew the government to make any sense?
W5RB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 02:12:03 PM »

http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-looks-to-lower-fees-for-vanity-call-signs
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »

I think they should institute a $100 narcissist fee. That would be the end of the vanity call signs. Grin
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 05:11:17 AM »

I think they should institute a $100 narcissist fee. That would be the end of the vanity call signs. Grin

You might be surprised.

$100 is only $10 per year. I suspect more than a few hams would pay that for a vanity call. Some folks would even support a higher fee if it would increase the number of available vanity calls (because fewer would pay the higher fee).

73 de Jim, N2EY (not a vanity call)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 03:15:25 PM »

Gee, that might start a super special elite ham narcissist club. Then we would know exactly who they are and how to avoid them. Cool Of course, that would leave out most of the cheap hams that I know, which includes me. What's in a name anyway? It didn't do anything for Judas or Benedict Arnold. Wink
KD6KWZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:28:30 PM »

I think they should institute a $100 narcissist fee. That would be the end of the vanity call signs.

People pay a pretty penny for vanity license plates all the time in states that have them. Including a number of Hams.
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2010, 06:06:17 PM »

Actually, they pay for their ham call sign on the tag. It is not not a "vanity tag." Most do that so they will be recognized as a ham by other hams in traffic for communication on the local 2 meter repeater or to be recognized as a ham in disaster situations. Nice try at rationalizing though. Wink  
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 06:11:18 AM by KI4SDY » Logged
KZ5Q

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 07:38:53 PM »

"Vanity callsign" is a misnomer for those of us who get a call to carry on the legacy of a SK.  There's nothing vain about honoring the memory of a loved one.
K1OC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 07:20:57 AM »

There's a good article in the July issue of CQ magazine on the history of vanity calls and associated fees.  Basically, the vanity callsign fee is a regulatory fee that is determined by apportionment of the FCC's costs and therefore varies with the FCC's annual budget, rather than being set by the FCC at an arbitrary number.  And it's the only fee the FCC is allowed to assess against amateur radio operators. 
NO6L

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:25:45 AM »

1. You would not be saying that if you had my old call sign and tried to use it with S9+ QRM. With my current call it's an absolute pleasure to operate phone HF, and I'm willing to pay a small amount for that pleasure.

2. And I'll tell you something else there, Pumpkin. I know what a narcissist is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder). You think twice about other peoples motivations for what they do before you post such insulting, degrading statements.

73, for what it's worth.
NO6L
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: