Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Driving to Dallas  (Read 4083 times)
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 03:13:19 PM »

Lots of good info, lots of great post. I have just over 3 weeks to get everything planned and set up. I am going to try to take my HF rig, although suggested, I am skipping the CB unless my dad has one of those hand held units. I have 2m/440 on the radio in the car and if I take HF, I will have a great starting point.

Funny one mentioned College Station, that is where I MAY have to go, my ex-wife lives there, but as of now we are going to meet in Dallas.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »

Funny one mentioned College Station, that is where I MAY have to go, my ex-wife lives there, but as of now we are going to meet in Dallas.

Do all of your exes live in Texas?

Did u write that song? Huh
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 04:14:35 PM »

Do all of your exes live in Texas?

Did u write that song? Huh

Very orginal, LOL. True story, when she first left to be with this guy she met in Texas (met online through a video game, he was suppose to be my friend, yeah, another story) my co-workers made it a point to play the "All my ex's live in Texas" song just for me at work. At the time I did not find it funny, almost got me fired more than once, and now, it is one of the first songs on my Ipod. If 2 of my kids were not there, I would not even think about that Texas. OH well, she is outta my hair and now I have more radio gear than I could have with her here, LMAO.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 07:47:05 AM »

If 2 of my kids were not there, I would not even think about that Texas.

Tip: When you drive through Dallas, don't take the behavior of the other drivers personally. It takes some getting used to, and the "Texans-carry-a-six-gun" thing is not a myth.

There is much to enjoy here, and you'll find the majority of people here (with the exceptions of Dallas and Austin, of course  Roll Eyes )are among the most friendly you will find anywhere.

Along with the cattle industry, you may encounter a few "bull salesmen."

Dress for a sauna and make sure the A/C works on your car. The weather here this time of year is not comfortable.

Having, boots, a hat and a good cattle horse are no longer required.  

« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 11:33:00 AM by Larry Kendall » Logged
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 03:13:33 PM »

K5END, notes taken. Texans may carry a six gun, Ohioans carry a 15 gun (Glock .357sig) and our PA non resident permit will allow us to carry in TX, LOL. The drivers cant be much worse than those in Memphis and Columbus, so no worries there.

Friendly people would be nice. I will only be in TX for the day, Basically I will get there Friday, pick up my kids on Sat and head home, no real time so enjoy the tourist places. I would like some good BBQ if I can find some though.

The ex is coming in from College Station. Wondering if you can suggest a place to stay that will be easy for us both, or a truck stop or something to meet at.
K5END

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »

K5END, notes taken. Texans may carry a six gun, Ohioans carry a 15 gun (Glock .357sig) and our PA non resident permit will allow us to carry in TX, LOL. The drivers cant be much worse than those in Memphis and Columbus, so no worries there.

Friendly people would be nice. I will only be in TX for the day, Basically I will get there Friday, pick up my kids on Sat and head home, no real time so enjoy the tourist places. I would like some good BBQ if I can find some though.

The ex is coming in from College Station. Wondering if you can suggest a place to stay that will be easy for us both, or a truck stop or something to meet at.

Spring Creek is great barbeque in the Dallas area. Dickey's is good too, but I prefer Spring Creek. Others will have the opposite opinion, and theirs would be equally valid. Pappa's BBQ and County Line BBQ are very good, but they may not be on your route.

Aside, the best BBQ I've ever had in Texas (and I've had BBQ all over TX) is a place wayyyyyy out in Lubbock, called "Bigham's," out of your way. But if you are ever in Lubbock...

Don't forget we have very, very good Mexican food here too. Bring Nexium.

Someone who has lived in Dallas more recently than I have (and there are a lot of hams in that area) probably has better advice, but if it were me, I'd recommend you meet and or stay in/around Plano or McKinney, TX, (or even as far East as Greenville) and then take HWY 380 back over to I-30 for the trip back to Ohio. This way you can avoid having to go into the city. And there are Spring Creek BBQ locations in Plano and McKinney.  Roll Eyes

There are many good (safe) areas in the city, but between Dallas and Ohio I would not stay at a motel anywhere south of Plano. OTOH I have not lived in that area for over 10 years. Just my opinion. I'm not familiar with the Garland or Mesquite areas, so they may be OK.

Again, current residents of the area will have more accurate information. I lived in Plano and in Grand Prairie many years ago.

BTW, XYL is from the Mansfield, OH area. We visited a lot of Ohio last year as part of our trip to the Dayton Hamvention. see: http://www.eham.net/articles/21718 

KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 01:58:57 PM »

Mansfiled is only about an hour north of me, so I know right where it is.

We had a Dickys BBQ here in my city, it was here 2 years and closed up shop. It was the only BBQ place in the area and was ok for being fast food. I do not eat Mexican food (bad experience in Mexico) so that wont be an issue. I am getting a trip tick from AAA since I am a member, they said they may have some hotel suggestions. I am figuring a Super 8 or Motel 6. I do not know what time I will get there Friday, depends on how I decide to do the trip. I may leave Thurs after work, drive until midnight or so (would get me to or just past Nashville) and get a room, sleep and drive the rest of the way in.

I need to look at a map to see where Plano is compared to Dallas, and figure out if the ex will meet me there. She is sorta on the "I am in charge" thing, sorta like being married, LMAO.

Thanks for the useful information. Tomorrows task is to program the radio up, I just learned last night that it has memory banks so I can put each state into its own bank on the rig.
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2010, 08:42:41 AM »

my ex also lives in Dallas . and i have driven the route you have mentioned several times from Syracuse NY . Dallas has a large amount of simplex operations on 2 meters , also the Nashville area simplex is abundant .
KC8AHN

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:09 PM »

my ex also lives in Dallas . and i have driven the route you have mentioned several times from Syracuse NY . Dallas has a large amount of simplex operations on 2 meters , also the Nashville area simplex is abundant .

Good info, I have 146.52 programed in every scan bank, so I have that aspect covered.
K5CWC

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2010, 09:00:23 PM »

http://www.levinecentral.com/repeaters/google_mapping_distance.php
Nifty Repeater locator map
KF5DEY

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 12:27:21 PM »

I like this one http://k5ehx.net/repeaters/qrepeater.php.

You put the map to where you are going and click a spot, it will show a list of repeaters...AND you can export that list and upload to the radio (if you have that capability obviously).
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: