Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VERIZON WIRELESS BROADBAND QUESTION...  (Read 590 times)
KC9LKW

Ignore
« on: January 30, 2008, 05:12:43 PM »

My wife is in online classes and we have had dialup. This was getting way to slow, so we went to verizon wireless broadband. The wireless modem we got has a place to hook up an antenna. Where can i get one, or how can i build one? We get 2 out of 4 bars on signal with the tiny antenna on the modem, but i am thinking an outside antenna would make a world of diffrence.

Thanks
                                     Roy
                                    KC9LKW
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 06:24:23 PM »

This might do the trick:

http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1800

Price: $29.95

15dBi Long Range WiFi Yagi for 802.11b and 802.11g(tripod not included)

Tons of Uses

NEW! Now buy a cable (MFJ-5606SR) to connect the MFJ-1800 to your wireless device! Only with RP-SMA / reverse SMA compatible devices.

This 15 dBi Wireless Yagi Antenna extends your range to lengths you never thought possible!

Are you trying to use your wireless connection in a
brick or concrete building? Use this high gain yagi antenna to take your wireless connection outside! Are you having trouble keeping a wireless signal on extreme levels of a multi-floor building? Our antenna strengthens your signal giving you the best signal of anyone in the entire building!
KB6QXM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »

Sorry, but the previous person does not understand the difference between 802.11B and Broadband Cell technology.(G3)

The reason why I know so much about this subject is that I live in a remote area away from any standard broadband delivery methods.

There are many vendors who sell cell yagi antennas. You may want to go to http://www.wpsantennas.com

There are many pre-amplifiers/amplifiers for cell carriers. Verizon is CDMA. You can get a 20db preamp to increase your recieve signal. You would also hit the cell tower harder. As you may or may not know, the more gain that an antenna has, the more narrow the beamwidth is. You can buy a field strength meter that will cover the 1.9 Ghz range and find the maximum signal coming off of the cell tower.(lock down the yagi in that position. Take the feedline down into a G3 router (MB8000) that turns G3 into WI-Fi(802.11b/g) and then you can plug the PCMCIA card into the router and connect the antenna either into the amp/preamp or straight into the PCMCIA card.

This would allow you to connect wirelessly through your laptop and have a seamless connectivity to your G3 connection.

This is a good solution, but not an inexpensive one.

Feel free to look up my call and send me a personal e-mail if you have any specific questions.

I personally have this setup. It works, but do not expect a "cheap" solution.
KC9LKW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 06:24:36 PM »

I understand a little about antennas.  The closest cell towe is about 7 miles away from me, so i shouldn't need that much. I was thinking of a yagi, and sense i found out from verizon wireless tht there frequency they use arround here is 1900 MHZ, a friend of mine may be able to build me one. I could try to build one myself, but i never built one before. He has a field strength meter, but i am not sure if it capable to this frequency. our connection speed on the couch in the livingroom is low, but still higher then what the dialup we where on was. On verizon dialup here, we where streaching it getting 31.2. Now in the big window of the bedroom, we are about 3 times that. If i knew it was like this, i wuld have went wireless a long time ago.  Thanks for the info.

KC9LKW
                                      Roy
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »

OOPS!  Looked at the post and had a brain fart!  You are right, 802 and G3 are two different bands.  I remember seeing some neat little cell antenna kits somewhere but, I can't find them again.
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:57:41 PM »

These guys are worth talking to

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=51

They sell a variety of booster antennas and can sell you the right one for your card

Mark N1UK G3ZZM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: