Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time for a new log  (Read 544 times)
W2IRT

Ignore
« on: December 30, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »

All,

I've been using (and having good luck with) DX Base since 2001 but as time moves on, unfortunately DX Base is moving closer to becoming abandonware every day. It's still the most powerful logger in the field, but is lacking new and modern features such as bandmaps, slick, modern graphics, support for new radios and a lot more.

Are there any other established HIGH END loggers for DX record keeping out there other than DX Base, DX4WIN, Logger32 and ProLog? By high-end, I mean intended for serious award chasers. To put this into perspective, I'm at 9-band DXCC, over 300 worked and I chase DXCC, WAZ and WAS on all bands and all modes. I'm NOT looking for an entry-level or casual-operating style logger.  The AC6V suite is too cumbersome and too light in the report department for me, and HRD doesn't offer the report generation I need either. I like the look of CommCAT but I think it's still fairly low-end, and Swisslog looks interesting but I don't want to pay north of $100 only to find out it's worse than what I'm using now (their demo is too restrictive -- ditto LogIC).

Here are the must-haves before I'll even consider installing any logger: tracking and alerting of needed entities/bands/modes for DXCC, WAZ, 5B-WAZ, IOTA and WAS, built-in report generation, QSL and address label generation, DXCC and WAZ form completion (i.e. you're submitting your DXCC app, it generates the exact forms used), automatic LoTW batch handling, ability to switch between multiple logs easily, integrated MMTTY, CW and Voice keying built-in and a band-map. These features, of course, on top of the usual things like cluster integration, QSL sent/receive/date tracking, etc.

I'd really like to see something NOT using the awful MDI interface, too. N1MM is a perfect example of how configurable it should be. If I had a record-keeping DX logger as powerful in its calss as N1MM is for contesting--along with N1MM's beautifully-slick look and feel, I'd
be one happy camper. Price is irrelevant, within reason. I'll gladly spend $250 or more if it's good looking and full-featured.

I'm willing to wager there isn't such a beast on the market today (if there is, I'd love to evaluate it for a couple of weeks and see if it does what I need).

That said, I'm wondering if a few people might be interested in creating such an application? Maybe as an open source project, even? I can't be the only DXer out there who's unsatisfied with the current crop of logging apps!

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 08:37:26 AM »

Have you looked at MiLog (milog.com)? I have been looking for something to replace my present log (ACLog) and have looked at it with some interest.  It is FULL FEATURED to say the least, as that is what keeps me from running it. Right now I have a basic logging program but it lacks only one thing that I want, which is the ability to read the mode from the rig correctly (it returns CW when the rig is in RTTY).

I will monitor this thread as I may find a replacement for my log as well.

Clint - W5CPT
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 10:51:36 PM »

DXKeeper is free, and available via www.dxlabsuite.com

Dave, AA6YQ
N9IJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 07:58:23 PM »

LOGic from http://www.hosenose.com
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

I still keep DXBase as my back up.  Wrong thing to do I know.  DXBase did some things their own way, maybe because of being around for many years.  Make copies of your DXBase ADIF master or masters.  Use the copies.

Seams every time I change programs I lose things like Sent/RCVD EQSL, Lotw, QSL Card credits. Right along with comments, notations, and just lost QSOs from importing my master ADIF for one reason or another.  Also how to handle Alaska Territories and  Jurisdictions, and county names that start with Saint/St., and DC never the less, among other things.

I visited ADIF.com and just briefly looked at a couple of things there. Depending who's logging software you use there are slight variations. Even though ADIF set standards, programmers seam to find a way to do things their own way thus have a small corner of marketing their own program. Here lays the problem.

Instead of competing with one an other on options, they deliberately adjust parts of the ADIF to make their program more proprietary thus creating issues/problems.

Keep your master log, look over every thing in the log in detail.  Be careful of the trolls under the bridge.
Keep The Faith, Jim
KB0FHP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 07:00:06 PM »

Look at DXLabs Suite - it is sweet, full featured, and support second to none.  It is also free and the best support and service around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: