Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The times are getting better ??!!  (Read 1755 times)
N7DM

Ignore
« on: August 14, 2010, 02:48:15 PM »

Today, 14 AUG 10 was the best propagation *I* have seen in a long time. The 'population' was pretty good too! Around 1800 [GMT] there were several CW QSO's going on, on 17 meters. I, myself, actually had four (4) very good, long winded, conversations with good OPs. I may never see 'the good old days' again, where you gotta have narrow I.F. to survive, but it was great to actually HAVE day-time QSOs, on the Music Mode. I did spin the dial up into the 'faux-CB subband' and heard very little activity; odd.

Of course, from here there was no 'DX' [save a PY2 struggling along on QRP; hair on HIS chest!], but 'solid' to 1 / 2 / 4 Land is a definite improvement.  Will I ever hear 9Q again? Hmmm...

Check out this web page:

http://www.solen.info/solar/

And come join the party. I need my fist exercised !

VY 73,  DM [WWA]
AA4N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:33:13 PM »

Well, it's been 24 hours since your post, but I just chatted with a guy on 17m CW.  It was a bit weak and wobbly.  I had better luck on 30m today.

Still, I agree.  It's nice to see the sun getting busy and helping out a bit with the propagation.

73,  mike AA4N
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 03:52:28 PM »

I was surprised to hear a very strong VL1ALZ in Conn. on 30 CW last night (0500Zish).  John was much stronger than even 9 and 0 Stateside stations.  I'm running a 40 foot window line strand at 15 feet.  If my very poor receiving antenna can pull strong DX at armchair copy, propagation should be getting better for weak signal work with a much better station.  Can't wait until I get back on the air.

73, Jordan 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 03:55:02 PM by Jordan » Logged
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:49 PM »

Any day it doesn't snow is a good day.
Pretty soon antenna building wx will be here.
Summer thunder storm crashes will be nil.
Days will get shorter, band will go longer.
Temps will drop into the 50s and 40s, forcing rattle snakes into hibernation.
Bob
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 05:22:50 AM »

I have not noticed any sustained improvement in propagation.
The indices are not really changing that much, and in my experience apart from a few post-CME improvements temporarily, conditions seem about the same as they have been the last few years.
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I operate just about every day working DX paths over half the globe and only notice a few days of improvement after which the withdrawal symptons seem to set in.
It is still basically gray line DX for me, with local contacts just following the sunrise/sunset routine.
The CME geomagnetic storms kill propo , then there is a recovery, with a bit of improved propo for a day or two, then back to the routine.
I arrange my day to be there when the gray line makes DX possible, and I would love it to improve, but sadly wishing won't make it so.
The "experts" predicted we should be near the peak very soon, prior to the "revisions" when it became obvious they knew squat about the suns dynamics.
So, I just continually improve my station to work in this rarefied ionospheric atmosphere and wait, like us all.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: