Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marine Radio Operator still requires 2nd class radio telegraph certificate  (Read 8027 times)
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 04:50:57 AM »

While KSM is operational and is licensed to commercial maritime frequencies, they do not operate as a commercial station;  the station is a historical maritime station and does not routinely handle commercial traffic.

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2010, 05:46:07 PM »

Aaah - but KSM does pass messages for free to internet addresses!  Rather cool to send a formatted radio message to their Op in Morse and have him send it on to the recipient.  I've done that a few times through them on Saturday afternoons.  You are required to have your Part 80 marine license and be authorized for Morse frequencies.

Ray
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2010, 06:33:59 AM »

Yes, just not practical for routine, day-to-day commercial traffic. Sadly, use of Morse code is very rapidly disappearing from commercial use in the maritime service, which is why I'm upgrading my ship to meet GMDSS requirements.  While I won't be relying on the upgrade to the full complement of GMDSS for Sea Area A3 (HF, VHF, NAVTEX, satellite phone), I'll still use CW on the MF maritime bands as time allows and stations exist.

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344
9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 05:43:51 AM »

Michael,

I guess you would only need GMDSS area A1 or A2 with a tug boat....the tonnage and trading areas  would determine that.

As for CW , forget it. Nobody, including marine coast stations,  listens on the HF marine bands anymore except on special event days.

CW is now only a ham hobby.

All the best

John

KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 02:30:18 PM »

Actually, I will be traveling through Sea Area A3.  While most ships 200GRT and under aren't required to have GMDSS, I am an ocean tug.  My other tug is >500GRT and also an ocean tug, which is also being outfitted for GMDSS. 

I have recently upgraded my license to 1600 GRT and look forward to longer range with my "beast".

Michael  KC8WUC/WDE9344
9V1VV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:02 PM »

Michael

Bon voyage ....

John
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: