Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Low Price on HAMLOGBOOK SOFTWARE  (Read 453 times)
K6REA

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2008, 11:56:59 AM »

Hi guys,
I have sold enough copies of my softwar to enable me to lower the price.
It was $19.95, the new price is $9.95

You can get it at:
http://www.hamlogbook.com

Kevin Rea
K6REA

ksrea@antelecom.net
KV9U

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:56:19 AM »

Kevin,

With all due respect, there are so many outstanding freeware programs that it doesn't make sense why someone would pay money for a program (of almost any type) unless it had some compelling reason or value that is not available anyplace else.

Some of the best logging programs include Ham Radio Deluxe, and of course, what is probably the most sophisticated, DXLab's DXKeeper, and even simple ones such as available from Dave Freeze, W1HKJ, FLlogbook.

We are so fortunate with the way the world is moving toward FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). Most all programs that I now use are freely available as either open source or at least free as in beer.
KB1HTW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 10:22:05 AM »

"With all due respect, there are so many outstanding freeware programs that it doesn't make sense why someone would pay money for a program (of almost any type) unless it had some compelling reason or value that is not available anyplace else....

We are so fortunate with the way the world is moving toward FOSS (Free and Open Source Software). Most all programs that I now use are freely available as either open source or at least free as in beer."

I'll also add this to Rick's comment:

Please, do not confuse the terms "freeware" and Open Source Software (and Free Software). They are worlds apart philosophically.

Generally, with "freeware", you get the executable program itself - and if you're lucky, the author will provide some kind of e-mail support. You do not get the source code. You are totally dependent on the author for bug fixes, even if you're a software developer yourself. You have no control over what happens to the code.

With Free Software and Open Source Software - the cost of it may well be "free" as in gratis, but you do have an obligation: You also get the source code, so if you want to make changes - tinker with it in the great traditions of amateur radio - you are obligated to contribute those changes/enhancements back to the community developing the software. That way the entire community benefits. If all you want to do is use the software, then you don't have to contribute. And if you do make changes - you don't have to contribute, either - as long as you don't incorporate that software into your own software and profit off the work of others.

I can't get over the fact that others here on this board view FOSS as anti-capitalistic or even communistic. Open Source actually greases the skids to capitalism by removing artificial marketplace barriers.

Hopefully, you're not Rick, (formerly KB1HUE)!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: