Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AMPRNet IP address  (Read 3184 times)
KC2UGV

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2010, 12:12:05 PM »

This is the most current list of IP coordinator's I've found:
http://www.db0anf.de/app/bbs/messages/show-O9GTU5EX_04V

If there a more current list?  Luckily, the regional coordinator for my region was still valid, but 4 years is a long time.
N5PVL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:45:56 PM »

It's pretty much a lost cause, now drifting along on the last dregs of inertia.

Not many ever did care about it, and now it's down pretty close to zero.

May amateur TCPIP rest in peace.

My best advice is: Let it go.

73 DE Charles Brabham, N5PVL

Prefer to use radio for your amateur radio communications? - Stop by at HamRadioNet.Org !

http://www.hamradionet.org
KC2UGV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 07:12:44 AM »

Well, if nothing else, I'll be using it Smiley  I'm seeing some real potential, most of which has probably already been explored lol  Who knows, maybe I'll push for an IPv6 reservation (Of equivalent size).

I already have a small network built.  3 nodes so far (Base, and two mobiles).  Working to have Synchronet or MBSE running, so I can feed in FidoNet and maybe the ampr.* NNTP groups.
VK4AKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 09:03:35 PM »

Yes please do apply for a IPV6 reservation of equivalent size.

Packet radio is a very important backup digital service.
Should a world disaster ever happen (21st December anyone!) Wink and we loose things like the internet, phone lines, power, sat com's. etc etc. This is where Amateur radio will shine true and have the potential to help the world.

Just because something is old it doesn't mean it no longer has a good use.
I believe even Morse code has it's place.

Besides, who's to say that newer digital modes with faster speeds won't come into being in the future.
Just look at the work being done with Codec2 to provide a real open source option for V/UHF/& even HF digital voice.

Currently here we are building a system that integrates ATV, WiFi 2.4 & 5.8Ghz linking, Packet radio V/UHF/&HF, Asterisk All_Star / Echoling V/UHF/HF Voice (No Evil IRLP & Death-Star), VUHF repeater.
All backed by Solar / Wind / NiFe Battery banks.

Yes we link back into the internet for convenience, but in no way would I ever consider it anything more than a novelty.
*** The internet & land lines can NEVER be relied upon in a disaster situation ***.

The amateur network should **always** have in place and promote true RF links as the backbone of any network both voice and digital.

The way forward with packet radio is some form of low power consuming hardware "black Box" integrating DSP, CPU, RAM, Flash, & Linux OS. With flexible connectivity. Ethernet, Bluetooth, RS232/485, & WiFi etc.

Devices like for example the "Rasbery Pi" with custom Ham Radio daughter board are the way of the future for Packet Radio.
Flexibility is the thing. The ability to run multiple modems within software that can range and auto detect the best mode for the conditions negotiating or handshaking between each end of a link and setting the best modem for the link conditions also with frequency agility. (ALE for example).

Or even pre existing hardware platforms could be adapted.
Look how cheap a smart phone is these days.
Most already run Linux (Android).
Could the next amazing free killer app be a DSP packet radio modem that connects to your V/UHF/HF radios via bluetooth or WiFi?

Anyhow, packet radio is certainly not a lost cause.
Some amateurs have just become lazy and can't open their minds to possibility and look towards the future.

~ Ken - vk4akp
.-.-.

K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 06:05:42 AM »

Here's video from the TAPR conference last fall in Atlanta, the 2nd half is about the 44. subnet:

http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?371945-HamRadioNow-APRS-APRS-and-even-more-APRS-from-the-DCC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: