Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "QSL ?"  (Read 8200 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »

How ridiculous would it be to be talking to someone on the phone and say LOL LOL instead of just laughing.

I hear the granddaughters talking to other kids face to face and using many of their abbreviations. Its just that amateur radio is many years ahead of the new technology  Grin

Right
Back when the Q-Signals were invented, that was new technology. And both things serve the same purpose for the same reason.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »

We had a better smiley face than the internet came up with.  Unfortunately if novice ops pick up CW we might start getting bombarded with LOL instead of HI hi.

QSL?

Bob
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2010, 09:16:03 PM »

We had a better smiley face than the internet came up with.  Unfortunately if novice ops pick up CW we might start getting bombarded with LOL instead of HI hi.

QSL?

Bob

QLMAO

Best Regardses

John
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 12:23:58 AM »

I hope propagation conditions improve soon so that we can be on the air more and internet less.
Lets hope the kids don't discover Q codes for sms texting or eham will melt down with flames.
Q codes were a natural development to speed communications in the early days of telegraphy, but since communications should be what the name suggests, not style points, what is wrong with saying QSY up 25khz?
I was taught in elementary english classes that language is like a spotlight which illuminates the message.
When the spotlight is shone in the eyes of the audience, it detracts from the message and focuses attention on itself.
Surely that is what communications is about, the sensible application of the media (language) to enable the message to be passed.
Whether in the local drinking house, meeting your boss, talking technical jargon with engineers or communicating via CW, Phone or digital modes, selecting the appropriate language is desirable.

Being an essentially technical hobby, Amateur Radio has jargon integrated into its culture.
Trying to make it politically correct by not offending one group or another and dumbing it down to a watery soup of hyperbole and common language seems an exercise in futility.
Personally, being many years in the hobby and having spent much time at sea, saying the QTH is xxx is much more natural than saying my home is xxx or I am presently at xxx.
Language defines tribes, geographical origin and social standing amongst others, so why should it not be used to define our hobby and its adherents?
Just a thought.

K5TEN

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 10:38:54 AM »

Ok, I have one too.

I call CQ, well spaced, well fisted (if I do say so myself) and then sign "K", and the next thing I hear, zero-beat, is "??" sent at three times the speed of my CQ.

Is "??" some kind of new callsign?  Last I heard if someone sends CQ and then "K"--you simply send your callsign as a response if you wish to work a station. "??" seems incredibly rude, lazy, and not to mention illegal as "??" or "?" is not legally identifying your station.  

From now on, every "?" and "??" I hear will be ignored, even if they do slow down and sign their call afterward.

Bruce

**(Edited to fix typo)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:47:18 PM by Bruce Dale Brady » Logged
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2010, 01:17:24 PM »

I call CQ, well spaced, well fisted (if I do say so myself) and then sign "K", and the next thing I hear, zero-beat, is "??" sent at three times the speed of my CQ.

Is "??" some kind of new callsign?  Last I heard if someone sends CQ and then "K"--you simply send your callsign as a response if you wish to work a station. "??" seems incredibly rude, lazy, and not to mention illegal as "??" or "?" is not legally identifying your station. 

From not on, every "?" and "??" I hear will be ignored, even if they do slow down and sign their call afterward.

G'day Bruce

Never heard that one myself.

Maybe the person sending "??" only heard the tail end of your CQ and doesn't know if it's a CQ, a call to another station, or what. "??" is quicker than "PSE RPT"

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2010, 01:34:52 PM »

May be the ? means what mode was that?

Or, ?? means my code reader couldn't copy that?

Could mean "I can't copy CW but I like to send it."

If you are on 10 meters, it could mean "Get off the truckers channel!"

QSL OT?

Best Best 73
Bob

K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2010, 10:59:16 PM »

N4RSS said:  "I don't operate CW but could you guys who do please inform the masses that CW operators have the exclusive right to use Q signs and that the rest of us don't want to hear this interrogatory appended to every transmission ?"

OKIE  DOKIE,

Does this also mean we must stop calling CQ, and simply ask, "Hey, does anybody hear me?" ?

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk

"
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:05:56 PM by Phil Chambley, Sr. » Logged
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »

Nasa now:

SHUTTLE:
Houston, IXMP alert indicated, L2Warn annunciator.

HOUSTON:
Cancel IXMP, warning logged.

Nasa under no jargon rules:

SHUTTLE:
Hey Houston, I got this flashing thing going down and this really annoying ringtone in my hood.

HOUSTON:
Yo! Rad man, put that sucker down and chill.

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2010, 05:59:33 PM »

Cheesy
W5HTW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 06:07:00 PM »

Some people send N2EY de WB1AUW K
Some send HW? BK

Some send R
Some send RRR

Some people append QSL?

Fortunately, they don't say Kay.

In tests I send 5NN BK.  Sometimes I have to send AZ, 2, 7, 1k OR 1tt, but I only send the info once, not AZ AZ.  It seems to work a high percentage of the time.
DX ops get the same report 5NN BK

It all works FB here OT.

10-4; signal report that includes mud or trees; destinated; I'm at the home QTH--I QSY. 
NOTE: I QSY, not change frequency.
NOTE: I still remember what a key click sounds like and the sig report to indicate it.

Bob

A long time ago they DID say "Kay" but that was back in the AM days, before SSB became really popular. 

What gripes me is to hear somethiing like this.

Bill:  Yeah, QSL, Tom, I'm going to the flea market.  QSL?
Tom:  QSL, Bill, I'll be there early, QSL?
Bill:  QSL, Tom I'll be there by seven, QSL?
Tom:  QSL, Bill, I'll be there by eight, QSL?

Doesn't that make you sick? 

I think this "QSL" garbage came from CB.  As new hams, they substituted "QSL" for "ten four?"

Probably got chewed out for using ten four on HF, so they tossed in QSL instead.  Whatever the reason, I wish it would go away.  Sounds terrible.

If speaking on SSB, just pause.  No "KAY" no "over" no "QSL?"  The other guy, if he is awake at all, will realize you paused.  Unless you have put him to sleep.

With smooth CW technique, we don't do the "OK, NOW BK TO YOU, OM, HOW CPI?"

We just send "going to the flea market? " and pause.   That's all it takes.  Other guy says "I'll be there at 7."  Pause.  OK, we might end a transmission with "K" but no BK, no long drawn out bunch of words to cover "K". 

This "QSL" stuff got into ham radio in the last few years.  Before that it was always "roger", a ham approved word.  Maybe that was too close to "ten roger" so we got rid of it???

Yeah, QSL, I'll be on the super slab tomorrow, looking for the smokies.  QSL?

Ed
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 10:38:07 PM »

"Doesn't that make you sick? "

NOPE.  If I don't like what I hear. I don't continue listening.

For me BK has a distinctive cadence--no confusion what it means.  With K, one has to wait to see if another letter follows it.  In DX pile ups, with many USA ops having calls either starting with K or K in them, I send BK to the DX op.

If others approve or disapprove of it, it doesn't effect how electrons flow here in the Sonora Desert.

QSL?

Bob
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 05:51:45 AM »

QSL Bob, and tnx!

I always wondered why the guys were dropping ads for Burger King
at the turn-around.....

73s's

John

(over?)

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up