Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's Contesting 20 Meters  (Read 2118 times)
K9BAY

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:53:10 AM »

I would like to answer some stations today, but I am not sure how the sequencing works.  I heard several stations indicate 5907, 5908, 597 Are these just the sequence of the number of contacts?(you would start with 001?  Or do these numbers represent something else?  Is there a website (ie..ARRL, etc)  that describes the upcoming contest schedules and rules?

Sorry for the ignorance. New to contesting.

Thanks!

K9BAY
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:02:15 PM by Barry Young » Logged
K9BAY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:44:37 PM »

I found the rules, it is signal report and ITU Zone.  Thanks! K9BAY
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:24:12 AM »

Those numbers are the RST and then the ITU zone number. 5nn 8 would be 599 08, but it becomes confusing to some because the entire numbers are shortened.
A great weekly based contest calendar is WA7MBN. There you can get a weekly or monthly or yearly contest calendar. I personally subscribe to his weekly emailed calendar. Another good one is SM7CER (I think I have that call correct.) which gives a monthly calendar. Both have contest web URL's so you can easily go to the contest web page and read the rules. WA7MBN has an advantage because he list most of the major rules for each weekly contest.

If you are new to contesting, welcome to another fun part of our hobby!

Tom - W4BQF
K9BAY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 10:42:26 AM »

Thanks Tom,

I thought this IRAU contest was awesome!  DX all over the place.  Wish a typical day on the radio was as good!  I thought it was better than Field Day as well.

I'll look into those other contests.  

Take care!

K9BAY
AA8LL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 12:13:19 PM »

Did you stay up with it long enough to notice that 20-meters stayed open all night?  I picked up a few of the 100-watt WRTC-2010 stations during the day but after midnight, they all came rolling in (from Russia!).  It's a contest within a contest.

http://www.wrtc2010.ru/

I love it when that happens!  It's a sign of good things to come.

CQ Worldwide VHF contest next weekend. (Hint, 6-Meters shall be open!)

Then RSGB IOTA contest the next weekend.  Bring it on!

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 12:52:41 PM »

The IOTA contest is actually in 2 weeks - July 24/25.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 12:55:47 PM »

The IOTA contest is actually in 2 weeks - July 24/25.

Oops - I misread the post. The original post was correct. I guess I better get some sleep after the IARU contest before I make anymore posts.
K9BAY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 01:54:37 PM »

Yes I was up until 2:45 AM talking to Russia, Polland, Italy, Austria, Sweeden, etc.  For some reason there must be a black hole of propagation between my QTH and Hawaii.  I heard the station, but he just couln't hear me. 

The 20 M band did cooporate really nicely, even during the day.  I think it is because there is good participation for the contest, and a huge increase of traffic.  Now, for example, the band seems dead, but everyone is probably sleeping, from yesterday.  Feast one day, famine the next.

I just thought it as great!  I am looking forward to the next contest this weekend.  I will look at the rules and do more preparation

73, K9BAY
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 04:19:22 PM »

"For some reason there must be a black hole of propagation between my QTH and Hawaii.  I heard the station, but he just couln't hear me."

I've been (very casually) working towards my WAS for years now and Hawaii was one of the few that I needed. It took at least 20 minutes but I nabbed KH6YR on 20M CW (finally) thanks to this contest. I actually yelled "YES!" right after, it was that exciting.

The previous weekend I spent an HOUR trying to get RI out of the "13 Colonies" special event at a time when I could barely hear him. This was the last station I needed to complete the event; already have a QSL card from that state. I think he was running QRP at the time and about half the time I couldn't hear him at all. He finally came up to an S3 or 4 and I got him.

The moral: Persistence, tenacity, etc. If you can hear them, and you want/need them, keep at it.

Alaska, I'm gonna get you.

73 Geoff

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: