Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: G5RV Jr. EZNEC model  (Read 943 times)
KG6PHS

Ignore
« on: April 10, 2008, 05:27:11 PM »

Hi everyone,

I am using a True-Talk G5RV Jr. in a very small space on our city lot. It's hung about 34 feet up as an inverted vee with about a 110 degree angle. I'm keeping it fairly low-profile.
It's legs are 25.5 feet each and the matching section is 17 feet of narrow ladderline.

I use 80 meters often at night, and would like to get better antenna performance. I found a couple articles online for adding 65 uH coils to the ends and then adding 8 to 9 feet of wire below that to cover 80m...

http://www.paulnic.com/ekrs/aom_sep04.htm

My problem is, one end of the vee is coming low, and I only have 5 to 6 feet left to add on that end without it getting lower than 8 feet from the ground.

Has anyone modeled this antenna with EZNEC? I don't have Windows. Could I make a different value loading coil and make due with the 5 or 6 feet left on the one end?

Thanks for any help,
Kit
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/kdrosenlund/

KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:16:43 AM »

You can model the heck out of a very compromise antenna at a really compromise height but in the end you'll fine you have a very compromise antenna at a really compromise height.

That little antenna should work poorly on 80M, regardless of what you do to it.  Install an HF2V if you want better performance on 80M.
WA9YSD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 01:13:32 PM »

Phil is right.  Him and I struggled with wire antennas.

You might want to get a different balun, Use a Current Balun 4:1 , will improve things just a bit.

If you add loading coils to electrically lengthen the antenna, add at least 3 feet of wire at the end and tie it to the rope insulator.  If you do not do that it will not radiate properly.

Better yet, put up a Windom antenna used a 1:1 Current balun and the wires tuned to the bands you need.  Feed point and feed line will be matched better and will be more efficient.

Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: