Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Puter Power Supply  (Read 1317 times)
WA8MEA

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:51:58 AM »

Let's face it, I'm more skilled in amateur power supplies than with 'puter power supplies.

Looks as if my teenage son's 'puter power supply has taken a dump.  I would guess one of two things happened: dust created a short between the chassis and the PC board.  Or, the fan died and the PC board overheated and cracked.  It almost acts like the latter, as I've experience cracked boards and arcing in amateur radio applications.

It's an Austin DR-B300ATX power supply.  Does anyone know a mail order company where I can get one new? (The only thing that pops up on Google is Ebay crap....)  Or, does another company make a direct replacement for this Austin model??

Thanks for any and all help.

73, Bill - WA8MEA
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 03:43:33 PM »

hi bill,

take a look at these sites

http://www.pcpower.com/index.html

http://www.tigerdirect.com/

the brand you have is not that important,
the supplies all are interchangeable to an extent.
the brand pc you have can make a difference.

73 james
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 06:44:43 PM »

Thanks, James.  But we repaired the problem!

For some reason, I just had an itch to take that PC board out and look underneath. it.  And sure enough!  There was the same stupid, idiotic design that my Icom IC-745 has!  A thin, veil of plastic between the PC board and the metal chassis of the power supply!  

The excess wires which were soldered to the board were sticking out so far, it was just a matter of time before they poked right through the plastic sheet and touched the chassis.  And that's exactly what happen.

A little wire brushing of the burned board, a little re-soldering, a LOT of clipping of excess wires and liberal use of duct tape both on the chassis and on the PC board to prevent these two from ever touching again, solved the problem!

Son is happy and dad looks really smart to him.  I just relied on my experience with the IC-745. (I fixed that in the same manner....)

73, Bill - WA8MEA
N8EKT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 09:14:54 AM »

Some of that great Chinese quality control.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: