Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu FT-857D, OS X, VirtualBox, and headaches  (Read 2383 times)
AC8HF

Ignore
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

Just got a Yaesu FT-857D (used) along with the ADMB-4B programming software, on mini CD.  Alas, I have a new iMac, and so even if the software ran on OS X, I can't use the mini CD.

So, I figured I'd give VirtualBox a go; I've already got it set up with Windows XP.  I also have a Belkin 9-pin serial-to-USB adapter, to connect the radio to the computer.

But at this point, I'm stuck.  I tried running FTBasicMMO, since I wasn't able to find a download for the software that's on the mini CD (admittedly I didn't look much more than 5 minutes or so), and when I followed the directions for querying the COM ports, I got nothing.  I'm really not sure what to do at this point.

I do not have access to a PC, but I do have Bootcamp installed on this iMac.  That said, I'd rather go with VirtualBox if I can, so that I don't have to reboot every time I want to do something in Windows-land.

Are there any OS X-specific options for me (I doubt it!)?  Or is there some other way to get to where I need to go--that is, software control of the radio, at least to set memories.

Thanks.

--Carl
KD8ONK
AE5NE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:47:18 AM »

I presume the radio is connected with a serial-to-CAT interface? 

Does the OS in the VM see the USB serial device?

If not, it's a usb problem - fix that first.

Also check radio menu for CAT port in CAT mode, and CAT baudrate.

Have you tried running something like Ham Radio Deluxe in the VM to see if it detects the radio? Normally FTBasicMMO requires the radio to be in a special powerup mode, and as I recall the evaluation version didn't allow communication with the radio (as noted in http://www.g4hfq.co.uk/mmohelp/hs200.htm)

Otherwise, if the VM sees the USB-to-Serial device, and you have the right serial->radio cable, I would expect it to work.

Perhaps you can boot a linux livecd such as the one from http://shackbox.net/  to verify the usb->serial->radio connection without involving the VM.
AC8HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:10 AM »

I played with it some more yesterday, installing Ham Radio Deluxe, and quickly realized that Windows didn't have drivers for the Belkin USB-Serial adapter.  Once I downloaded the driver, HRD worked like a charm.

You're right, by the way, about FTBasicMMO not communicating with the radio; I must have missed that!  But no matter, HRD is working fine.

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: