Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood MCP-2A Programming Software  (Read 3571 times)
WB4KZI

Ignore
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:41:53 AM »

I recently tried to program my Kenwood TM-V71A VHF/UHF xcvr with the Kenwood MCP-2A soft ware.  I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop, using Windows Vista (32bit), to load the program into the radio. The laptop does not have a 9-pin serial port on it.  It does have USB ports.  So I bought a Prolific 2303 USB to serial port adapter.  The MCP-2A software only shows a "COM PORT 3" as a selection.  My latptop assigned COM4 to the USB port.  So I went into Windows device manager and was able to change to COM3.  I went to a couple of websites and downloaded the driver for the Prolific 2303 adapter.  When I looked at the Devicer Manager, Ports(COM & LPT), I see a yellow exclamation point with "Prolific USB to Serial Com Port (Com3)" next to it.  When I click on that selection, I see "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)".  I called Kenwood and they said that "the MCP-2A remembers the last com port it saw, in this case, Com 3."  Although there are 20 com ports in the program's Setup, only COM3 is selected.  The other selections are "grayed out".  But, this was OK since I could change the Com Port in Device Manager.  I made sure that the web sites where the 2303's drivers were located, were for Vista.  The only thing I can do, (recommended by Kenwood), is to use an older computer with a 9 pin serial adapter, using Windows XP.  Does anyone know of a solution where I can use my USB ports with the USB to serial adapter, to load and run the appropriate driver on a laptop running Vista?  By the way.  Toshiba support said they "weren't trained on the com port issue" !
KC9BUH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 05:02:53 AM »

Sir
Go to rt systems web site and download "find com part"(it will be listed under FAQ)
plug in your serial port adapter and run this program.it will list the portsthat are avalible.
What I have run up against is a lot of program/radios require com port 1. You may have to swap usb ports to find the right one.

not to promote rt systems but I would buy their serial port conveter and run it.I have no problems with it.
kc9buh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: