Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K3 or FT-1000D or FT-1000MP MK V as back up rig?  (Read 14656 times)
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 04:23:59 AM »

Congratulations.  How did you get it configured?
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 04:29:33 AM »

To keep the $$$ in line with my budget, I went with what I believe to be "must have's" to do serious battle in pile ups:

100W
RX Port
USB Port
400 hz CW filter
2.8 khz SSB filter

That will drive my AL-811H. There are three things that made me sell 2 guitars so I could buy this DX machine:

1) I want a CW DX rig that will help me separate the signals in big fat nasty rare DX pileups (since that's the only DX left that I need for DXCC Honor Roll). The FT-2000D is not very good at that - its not as bad as some report - but I should have never sold my Orion II to buy the FT-2000D. However, the ergonomics of the FT-2000D are the best I've seen since 1973.
2) I wanted a rig that makes it easy to get on RTTY and PSK. The FT-2000D with Signalink USB was actually very good at this.
3) I wanted a rig that would work well with my MA160V and K6SE Optimized Loop to get to RTTY DXCC. The FT-2000D was very good at this

I will keep the FT-2000D because as a back up rig - its actually a very good and capable rig. Its fine for chasing DXCC Challenge band mode fills - log into nets and just do casual DX - and with decent power without having to turn on the AL-811H.

Rich
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:01 AM »

Sounds good, Rich.  Are you serious about selling the guitars?  I sold a pristine 1978 Gurian Cutaway to fund my K3.  The buyer's eyes almost popped out when he opened the dusty case!  The beauty of the K3 is that you can add features later on if you want.  Elecraft even provides retrofit steps in the manual for each particular option.  You will have to build and the test the 10 watt version first, then install the final PA.  If you follow the steps, it's cake.  Keep in mind that the "USB port" is actually an external Serial to USB adapter.  Good luck, and if you have any ?'s, send me an email.  Things are still pretty fresh in my head from my build.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »

Yep - sold a Rickenbacker 360 - 12 string (Sunburst) and a 60th Anniversary Edition Telecaster (tobacco sunburst). Both gorgeous.

They have been in the closet for about 10 years. I used to play in dive bars in San Francisco in my younger days . . .
NN6EE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2010, 01:49:24 PM »

RICH!

That's the 2nd smartest move you've made to date other than getting rid of "You-Know-Who"! We've been a proud owner of the "Elecraft K3" since 12-08-08 and have it loaded with what we thought was necessary and it's a "Stellar-Performer" (BIG-TIME!) and in fact we recently had the factory do ALL mods. on it (mech. & electrical) to date and it struts it's stuff every day! I  also recently bought the "P-3" Display Scope and it's a great addition as well!

Warmest Regards,

Jim/nn6ee

PS,

Don't be a "Cheapskate" buy a "HF LINEAR" too!
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2010, 08:57:49 PM »

Ain't that the truth! Some trades are better than others, eh?

I did get an Ameritron AL-811H and as always - working on having gain antennas on all bands between 40M - 10M - and respectable antennas for DXCC on 160M and 80M. I have a great low band RX antenna.

Rich

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: