Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are some of your favorite presentations at club meetings?  (Read 16428 times)
AG1LE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 09:05:05 AM »

I learned as President of a large radio club re presentation:

-Keep it brief.
-Hands-on, interactive, is way better.
-Great presentations do something unusual that most haven't seen or done but might want to.

I used to give a lot of the presentations myself (maybe half of them, the other half were "guest" presenters who were either club members or not) and the top one in the hit parade was setting up a 70cm moonbounce station (working) in the parking lot outside the meeting.  I had it all set up a couple of hours in advance, and about 30 mins into the meeting time the moon was in a good position.  Ran a kilowatt to four stacked 21L beams from a van-mounted station, and very first key closure yielded an echo everyone could hear.  People were amazed.

One of the best "guest" presentation which also rocked the house was when Ulrich Rohde DJ2LR (now N1UL) brought in a homebrew receiver which he built in his lab and demonstrated it alongside a few modern (then) Japanese transceivers, using a 40m dipole we stretched across the room (indoors!).  Unbelievable.  His "talk" lasted only 10-15 minutes but the live demonstration went on for as long as people wanted to play with the equipment.  Very, very impressive.

This thread was very useful as I was preparing a presentation and a demo at Wellesley Ham Club last week.
I created only few simple slides ( http://ag1le.blogspot.com/2012/01/wellesley-ham-club-presentation.html) and focused on  demonstrating the audience how to use PowerSDR and connecting it with various other free software applications, such as Ham Radio Deluxe, Fldigi, JT65HF, Spectrum Lab, WSPR, PolarPlot etc. We also built a HF station in the venue by pulling some 200+ ft coax through windows to a mobile antenna mounted on my car outside.

I agree that live demonstration is more effective way to keep the audience engaged.  It takes a bit more effort and preparation but it pays off.

73   Mauri,  AG1LE
K4JJL

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 07:45:14 AM »

My club had a former Goodyear Blimp captain (piloted for 40+ years!) give a presentation on the history and construction of blimps.  Not radio related, but still pretty cool.

We also had the local FCC office bring their DF truck and give a presentation about some illegal stations they busted.  Huge turnout for that one (80+ people).

Not all presentations have to be technical.  Think outside the box.

All presentations are limited to 22 mins.  If they start going over, we get out the shepherd's crook...
K3WEC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:53 PM »

My club had a former Goodyear Blimp captain (piloted for 40+ years!) give a presentation on the history and construction of blimps.  Not radio related, but still pretty cool.

This really sounds awesome!
AG5T

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 03:08:30 PM »

Thanks everyone. I have a great source of ideas now!
K5KNE

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2012, 10:17:32 PM »

May I suggest a survey to be handed out at a club meeting where the members can write in what areas they would like to see as a club program.  Don't forget to give them a place to suggest something that they might like to present in a program.

We have conducted the survey like that and found that simple show and tell type things are of interest to a broad spectrum of the hams.  Even a "what is it" box of parts stimulates a lot of courisoty and discussion.  The more that the members can explain - not you - the better they will like it. Of course you have to sum up and bring it to a close in the alloted time.

The program, if about a project, should be something that is practical, fairly simple and not too technical.  Something that they understand and might even want to try themselves.  I have seen club programs that were highly technical, expensive and beyond the scope of most hams ability and resources - that was a waste of time.  Keep it simple - make it fun.

73  Good luck on your program.

Walter K5KNE  Belton, TX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: