Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pro Cycling Two-Way Radios  (Read 2850 times)
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2010, 06:52:05 PM »

Being a big fan of cycling, I've seen them transition from no radios to using two-way radios between the racers and the team directors in the team cars.  I just started to read an article in the June 2010 edition of VeloNews about the debate pro and con radios in pro cycling.  Interestingly, in the table of contents at the front of the magazine next to the entry for the article, there is a picture of an open padded case.  Laying there are three HTs...that are clearly Yaesu VX-3s.  Can anybody explain how that works?  In France?

Thanks de Mike KB9WQJ
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 08:02:23 AM »

No specifics on this, but there's a lot of bootlegging in 'sports' - they seem to feel that they can do anything they want.  I know several motorcycle companies that sell all sorts of high-powered radios, all of which require licenses, yet they fail to mention that when you buy it - oh, they include an application for a license [wink....wink...].

Desert racers, and other groups use all sorts of stuff - including marine radios in Nevada....etc.

Sadly, their attitude is not so good on this, but there is little anyone can do.
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:30:36 AM »

That's about what I thought.  I was also wondering if the picture in the TOC was some "stock" photo and not an actual from the pleoton poto but the other photos in the article appeared to be actual team riders with what appeared to be the same radios carried in a pouch on the back of the mesh portion of their bibs.
  Isn't there a dry lake bed in Nevada?  That make it "marine" use, doesn't it?  Undecided
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 12:15:51 PM »

If I recall correctly, a number of years ago, several cycling teams were discovered to be using 2M and 440 Alinco low power (the really thin rigs) handhelds on amateur frequencies.  I never did hear any results of government action, but it was in Europe.  Then again, I wouldn't expect Europe to be any better than this country when it comes to licensing enforcement.
 Huh

Terry, WØFM
KB9WQJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:12:44 PM »

If I recall correctly, a number of years ago, several cycling teams were discovered to be using 2M and 440 Alinco low power (the really thin rigs) handhelds on amateur frequencies.

I remember that as well.  These were definitely Yaesus.  I wish the same photo was on the website but I can't find it anywhere online.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: