Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New ham enjoying CW  (Read 3244 times)
W9PV

Ignore
« on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:33 PM »

I got my ticket early this year.  I started learning CW while studying for the technician and have continued on through the general and extra.

After months of learning and practice, I finally got on the air, called CQ, and made my first CW contact a few days ago.  My heart was pounding and my hands were shaking, but I got through it.  That call sign will forever be etched into my memory. 

I've made several contacts since and each one gets easier and more enjoyable.

I had to laugh at myself last night.  I was in the middle of a nice, slow QSO.  Turning it back to the other op with a "hw cpy?", I copied, "so    lid     copy".  That threw me for a second.  Realizing it was "solid copy", I  couldn't help but miss the next few letters as I laughed.
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 01:40:47 PM »

Chad, congrats and welcome to the "real" fun of ham radio.  Many will comment that they had the same or a similar experience when they first started with cw qso's.  I will leave you with this: make a lot of notes in your log book about these first cw qso's.  I wish I had and could go back and read my thoughts at the time.  Little can replace the excitement of you first few cw qso's.  cu on the bands, 73, Mike.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 02:04:57 PM »

My hand shook too during my first few CW Qs.  Plus I was using a straight key.

Many ops will consider you an OT now.

73 OM
Bob
W9PV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 02:56:21 PM »

I'm using a CWtouch keyer.  A little shaking and I can send all kinds of fun iambic stuff. 

My first contact had two consecutive "V"s in his call.  I thought I heard "U"s.  It took us several tries to get that right.  One would think I'd get the Vs, having one in my own call.  Did I remember how he got it through to me when I'd inevitably need that information later?  Nope.

Shortly, I was tested by another operator.  He kept sending W9PU.  I couldn't think what to do other than back off the speed and send my whole call several times.  I'm sure that was confusing as I didn't tell him it was a correction.  And it didn't help when I'd accidentally send a "U" and have to correct it.  He eventually got it.  Retrospectively the OT had the solution, send "last letter of call is   .    .    .   -        .    .    .    -  " and space it way out.  I'm sure I'll handle it better next time. 

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »

CW is where it's at.

I've been hamming over 45 years and still use CW more than any other mode.  Not for any other reason than it's fun and relaxing.

Not to mention it works when other modes don't (when signals are seriously weak).  Some new digital modes are also very effective, but for a minimalist station (no computer), CW beats everything.  I just worked the ARRL August UHF contest this weekend, and some contacts were possible on CW that were absolutely impossible on SSB (tried, and tried, and tried...had to resort to CW to actually complete the contacts).

I actually feel very sorry for hams who don't use CW.  They have no idea the contacts they're missing that are impossible to make on any other mode.

But then, that's just me. Tongue

The license plate on my RV is "CW4EVR."  I guess that sums it up. Cheesy
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 09:35:56 PM »

You'll probably hear  strings of Vs on the air.  Some ops send them while testing.  T E S T   V V V V  T E S T de WB1AUW

Bob
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 02:56:37 PM »

Well done and welcome to the ranks of hams who love Morse QSO's.  Hope to hear you on the air soon!
W9PV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 05:16:22 PM »

Thanks for the comments.  I'm really enjoying it.  I unplugged my microphone and put it in the drawer.  I'm sure it will come back out eventually, but for now, CW is keeping me busy.

It looks like I'm missing out on some fun by not having a straight key.  I'll have to order one.  I heard ops calling CQ WES over the weekend and a lot of the ops slowing down to work me are involved in SKCC. 

W3ML

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:01:21 AM »

Hello Chad and welcome to Amateur Radio. 

Now that you are into CW maybe you would like to try one of the CW Traffic Nets.  They will slow down to your speed.
They meet at these times and frequencies:

Net Name                       Frequency     Local Day     Year Round
                                                                            UTC Time                  Local Time when
                                                                                                               Indiana on
                                                                                                 EST          EDT
Indiana Section CW Net (QIN)     3.535     Daily     09:30     14:30     13:30
Indiana Section CW Net (QIN)*     3.535     Daily     00:00     19:00     20:00

You can see the entire list of nets on http://www/inarrl.org

Have fun and enjoy CW.

John, W3ML
ARRL Indiana Section Manager
M0JHA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 03:31:35 PM »

everyones pretty much echo'd all id like to say..  i ,like you took my mic off the radio so if i wanted to use it i had to use the key.. best move i made and the mic stayed where it was put..

iv been at morse 2 years now and theres something about it that makes you more than like it , it makes you love it .

billy ,uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: