Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reusing an antenna-- SBB5-NMO, was mounted for seven years...  (Read 3904 times)
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 08:39:26 AM »

"I did a quick check of Comet, Diamond, MFJ, and of course Larsen (Why not include Hustler in this statement? We will find out later!) and found that all of their VHF/UHF antennas use either the UHF or NMO mounts. If I'm wrong, it isn't by much."

Why the disclaimer at the end? Because on page 57 of the MFJ catalog, on the same page as their SO239 mount antennas, is a listing and photo of the MFJ 1414 VHF/UHF 3/8X24 stud mount antenna. In addition, many of the MFJ mobile mounts are for stud mount antennas and can be used for either VHF/UHF or HF.

"Only Hustler's use the 3/8X24 stud on their colinears. The reason they do is because they're extremely heavy, and have a large surface area."

Oh, really? I guess he didn't notice the full spread of small Hustler 3/8X24 UHF/VHF mobile antenna listings on page 80, opposite their full spread of HF antenna listings on page 81 of the latest AES catalog.

He also conveniently did not mention all the small stud mount antennas made for VHF/UHF by Valor and ProAm. I have been using one for years mounted on my tool box with good success. Performance is great and the mount is extremely strong and positive! Grin

Yes, he was wrong, by a lot, not a little! Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 05:30:30 AM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2010, 09:16:52 AM »

Yes, he was wrong, by a lot, not a little! Roll Eyes

If you look at the number of V/UHF antennas available, you'll find that the vast majority of them are not stud mount. That's the point I was attempting to make that must have gone over your head.  Friend, if you shot your mouth off on the air as much as you do here, you'd have a lot more QRZ.com lookups than you do. It's typically a pretty good indicator of how much operating is actually done.  The only reason you haven't made my short ignor list is your answers are most entertaining.   But keep them coming because they are humorous.  ....oops almost forgot this >>>  Grin
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:17:28 AM by Tom Hybiske » Logged
KI4SDY

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2010, 08:40:04 PM »

Boy, these eHam.net posters get angry when you demonstrate they were giving out wrong information with the facts! A nice ham would just admit they were oblivious to the readily available information and thank the other nice ham for educating them, unless the misinformation was intentional to support their personal opinion. Wink

The reality is that VHF/UHF antenna mounts are shared almost equally by stud mounts, SO239 mounts and NMO mounts, when all the manufacturers are considered. Most hams select the antenna and live with the mount that came with it. In my case; I planned for strength, performance, maintenance access and appearance. I am glad I did. It was an excellent decision. I was just trying to share the results of my success! Grin

I gave you excellent advice concerning the antenna installation on your new car and this is how you thank me. Cry  
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 07:26:26 AM by Guy "Vern" Wells » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: