Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Perma-Mounting an SG-7900 on a '96 Tahoe  (Read 1116 times)
N6JRZ

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2010, 07:01:43 PM »

Has anyone done this and if so what is the best way to go about it. The mount style is a UHF female so I will need a male UHF coming through the roof. Any pix would also be greatly appreciated. I recently had major neck/back surgery so I will be having help for this. Thank you in advanced.

Best 73's de
KE6SHJ
Joe
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 01:19:59 PM »

Has anyone done this and if so what is the best way to go about it. The mount style is a UHF female so I will need a male UHF coming through the roof. Any pix would also be greatly appreciated. I recently had major neck/back surgery so I will be having help for this. Thank you in advanced.

Best 73's de
KE6SHJ
Joe

The best way is to NOT use the UHF mount. It's very hard to make them either water-tight or sturdy. A better arrangement, if you must use that antenna, is to use an NMO mount from Motorola, Larsen or Antennx and then use an NMO to UHF adapter. An even better arrangement is to use a Larsen NMO270 or 270B as the antenna.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 01:42:24 PM »

I agree.

Speaking only for myself, I just don't get the fascination with all things Comet and Diamond. Their mounts are substandard, their advertised gain is exaggerated, and they're far from sturdy.

There is one factor which always amuses me. At the top of several Comet models is a connector which connects the top of the whip to the rest of the antenna. Comet calls that connector a phasing coil. It isn't. It's just a solid piece of brass with a black plastic cover.

N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 02:38:45 PM »

Thank for the replies gentlemen. The reason I am utilizing the 7900 is because it is all I have and can not afford to buy a new antenna. I have had it for close to 8 years now and has served me well. I am not sure about Comet but I know for a fact that Diamond does utilize coils as I have broken each segment on this antenna more then once. The coils are in there HI HI. I was not aware of being able to utilize an adapter from NMO to UHF so that is the route I will take. After my surgery, I am now on a fix and limited income with a family to support so buying anything new is pretty much out of the question. I had to sell off everything I owned just to make ends meet and I am fortunate enough to have a very understanding wife. After 23+ years changing and repairing commercial, farm, passenger, and Earth mover (OTR) tires, I am not able to do much any longer. At least when she drives me around, I will be able to have QSO's with friends here locally.
     Again, thanks for the input fellas. Installing an NMO mount is easy enough as I have done a few of those in the past.

Best 73's de
KE6SHJ
Joe
KL2GN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 04:54:53 PM »

Joe -

I would have to agree with Lon and Alan that the NMO is the way to go for the mobile antenna.
That is all we use for public safety and commercial installs.  The only UHF I have seen worth anything is one that Breedlove makes and it is really designed for mounting on a bracket or through a thick plate.

Send me an e mail with an address and be happy to ship you off a NMO dual bander, I probably also have an extra NMO-UHF adapter floating around from some install or another if you haven't already bought one.  I have various extras collecting dust here.  Be happy to put some to use.
akmathias at yahoo dot com

Tim
KL2GN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 05:13:23 PM »

thought I missed a letter....

electronic mail should be akmathiasd at yahoo dot com
N6JRZ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:06:14 PM »

E-mail sent Tim. Thank you kindly for assisting me by providing a dual band NMO style antenna. I am sure it will work out better especially on a such a high profile vehicle such as mine. I look forward to your response.

Best 73's de
KE6SHJ
Joe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: