Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSB filters for ic-718  (Read 5028 times)
KD8MAA

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:44:33 PM »

O.K. - I am a new ham who just got my first HF radio (icom 718 ) i have a g5rv jr. that i made myself and with my old dentron super tuner, i have no problems with swr from 10-40 meters.
I am hooked on 40 meters and also 20 meters when they are hopping,my question is about ssb filters,wich brand and what filter do i buy,the DSP works great but i am told/read that a good SSB filter will quiet the receiver considerably. Reading the reviews do not help because they are conflicting,some say INRAD filters are over priced,W4RT filters make no difference and the icom filters are to close to the supplied one in the radio. So what do i start with and wich brand,i know opinions vary but i hate to pay 150-200 bucks and see no difference. Also explain the difference between 1.8-2.3-3.3 hz etc...to me it seems that if the factory installed filter in my radio is 2.4 then the 2.3 would be a waste of money,the 1.8 would be narrow and good for dx and the 3.3 good for ragchewing or do i have it backwards.    HELP
Robert-KD8MAA
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Any Filter that is more narrow than the stock filter will help.  I have the ICOM 1.9 in my 706 and when there is heavy splatter it makes a big difference. For example, I just went down on 40 and found a guy hitting me at S9 +40 on 7.182 the noise level is S-7 to 9  I tune to 7.180 and he's around S9+10 still clearly over the noise floor. I engage my narrow filter and he drops down into the noise floor and I turn my passband to 2 oclock and he's barely audible with a S 5 to 7 noise level. So if someone has a solid S9 signal 2khz away from a clean 40 over signal I can talk to them. Something you could not do without the filter.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »

Robert,

I too have the Icom 1.9SSB filter and an Icom 350Hz CW/RTTY filter, both work exceptionally well.  I think with which ever filter you do choose you will be pleasantly surprised at how well they do filter out the offending adjacent signal.  FWIW, I was able to find both my filters here on eham, for what I paid for both filters I would have only been able to buy one new one.  Ya gotta be patient, cause you don't see them very often, it took me about 4-6 weeks to get both filters.  Search here and other ham related web sites, but you'll find them.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 04:53:53 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.I think i'll go with the narrow filter and start looking for one.
73s
Robert-KD8MAA
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 11:25:15 AM »

For SSB, I find the 2.4 kHz a minimal improvement on most radios.  The 1.8 and 1.9 kHz filters cut off too much and make the audio muddy and flat.
My preference is the 2.1 KHz filter, adjusted for a 300 Hz---2400 Hz passband, and can recommend INRAD filters in general.
73s.

-Mike.
KD8MAA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 05:15:28 AM »

WA3SKN-I did look at the INRAD filters and considered them,but i found a new Icom 1.8 and decided to go that route.Hope i don't wind up buying the Inrad filter also! Just wish the radio had a place for both filters!
Robert
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:43:25 PM »

The 1.8 and 1.9 kHz filters cut off too much and make the audio muddy and flat.
True, but they're for crowded bands, not for ragchewing.
I have found the 1.8 KHz filter in my MkIIG has sometimes made
the difference between copy/no copy in a contest or crowded
band. (Though the 706 is not my contest rig, it's my car campling rig).
KG7AV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 01:13:03 PM »

The 1.8 and 1.9 kHz filters cut off too much and make the audio muddy and flat.
True, but they're for crowded bands, not for ragchewing.
I have found the 1.8 KHz filter in my MkIIG has sometimes made the difference between copy/no copy in a contest or crowded band.

An old thread, but deserving of comment.  It's the thread I came back to when first researching and comparing the Icom to Inrad to the W4RT mod.  Agree with most everything said by all.  Found an FL-222 new on eBay for $149.  Quick install, works perfectly.   Yes, that narrow of a filter impacts aesthetic voice quality by conversation standards, but I've found no adverse impact on voice intelligibility.  It's been an outstanding add-on in my 718 for crowded band situations.
VE7SHM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 08:28:10 AM »

I wish i had read this before i bought the W4RT ssb filter waste of time and money in my 718 when compared to the stock filter no different.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: