Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: observation about RufzXP  (Read 2860 times)
AB2T

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2010, 06:41:28 PM »

Why does RufzXP repeat JA, DL, G, M, F, VE, and American calls over and over again?

I wish there were a "random character set" version of RufzXP.  The call repetition is slowing down my progress, as I've memorized the common prefixes to the detriment of the "rarer DX" calls. 

It's an invaluable program anyway, even if some of the calls are becoming much easier than others.

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 07:08:59 PM »

I recently completed my 500th run of RufzXP. As I understand it, the callsign database reflects actual callsigns of contesters and DX'ers worldwide.  It is randomized enough for my purposes, and I've only heard my callsign once during 500 runs. 

I'm still getting the hang of the program, trying to improve my score.  My latest strategy is to start out with a speed 2 wpm above my best speed to date, and to use the F6 key as necessary early during the run to keep the speed toward the upper end of my limit so as to maximize the score. 

I try to run the program at least once or twice per day, and have found my scores take a temporary dip after being absent during vacation periods.  DJ1YFK (the RufzXP champion) has a nice website for displaying a graph of one's scores at: http://www.dxwatch.com/rufzxp/

73 de Chuck  NI0C

NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:02 PM »

During the past week or so, my scores took another dip-- probably because I was under the weather and taking some medication.  But I'm better now, and today achieved a new personal best score and also qualified for the Top Speed category (> 70 wpm) for the first time.  Keeping at it seems to payoff!

Chuck  NI0C
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:56 PM »

You can make your own callsign database file if you wish. Just use Notepad. Type in a call, hit enter, type in the next call, hit enter, etc.
To get our team ready for Field Day, I made up a file of the 600 top scoring stations from the 2009 event. It took about an hour. I emailed the file to each participant and they trained on their home computers. In Field Day we made over twice as many CW as phone QSOs, and beat our 2009 score significantly.

N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 05:45:27 AM »

Callsigns in actual contests aren't evenly distributed, either. e.g. In an actual contest I recognize almost all of the big guns from past years.

If you want to customize for a certain contest, you can go fetch the score files or the "logs submitted" files from any major contest and use a simple text file as a callbase. Again this favors those who submitted logs but is not a bad start. Or just write a little program that randomly uses the prefixes you want and appends random letters on the end.

But RufZXP in my experience does mix in a lot of the more bizarre callsigns. The slash suffixes often throw me for a loop at 50+ WPM, when I was cruising along with the more common and simpler calls at the same speed.
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 01:31:28 PM »

For raw code speed practice, RufzXP is hard to beat.  I'm not sure why anyone would want to limit the number of callsigns, though.   

Another excellent resource is LCWO Learn CW Online: http://lcwo.net/
It features callsign training, word training, random code groups, and much more. 

Our K9YA Field Day group prefers Morse Runner, because it creates a more realistic contest simulation with QRN, QRM, and lids. 

Nothing beats actual on the air operation, though.

Chuck  NI0C

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: