Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: BEWARE! KJ4TOF - Ripp Off Artist and Thief  (Read 47974 times)
N7RST

Ignore
« on: August 17, 2010, 06:50:27 AM »

This guy was slick...sent me a "cashier's check" and upon receipt, sent the item to this jerk only to find out 10 days later, check was bogus....

Now, I and a disabled friend of mine are out of the funds he stole plus the item I "sold" him...

He lives in Catonment Florida, not far from Pensacola...beware as he posts on EHam and QRZ frequently.  He doesn't seem to know much about amateur radio basics, but definitely knows how to cleverly steal and rip off individuals.  Don't buy or sell this character anything....

Won't return the item or the money...decided to quit "communicating with him", even though he doesn't answer e-mails.  I have processed paperwork, following up thru formal processes...

JUST BEWARE; I suspect to see this liar and thief to escalate his scamming activities and possibly a call sign change in the near future.

Billy Stone
Cantonment Florida.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:14 PM »

Hope you saved all of your correspondence with him for turning over to the police you did do that I hope. Lots of Federal, State and Local laws broken there
KE6ANM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »

Well,  if he sent you the envelope in the mail, he has committed federal mail fraud, contact the postmaster at your [post office and press charges, through the postal police. And I am sure the secret service would like to have a LOOK AT THE CHECK.( INTERSTATE BANKING FRAUD)
TAKE THE CHECK TO YOUR LOCAL AND STATE POLICE AND PRESS CHARGES.
Do not let this go unchallenged.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 08:29:17 PM »

100% Fraud Confirmed!

Banking Fraud
Internet Fraud
Mail Fraud

To mention three.

I had a friend that works at a local national bank look up the issue with his bank (who for unknown reasons, is not willing to share cashier check info with me), and found out, that indeed, this Criminal, Billy J Stone completed, signed an affidavit (spelling?) swearing that he had "lost" the cashier's check prior to even mailing it to me, when in fact he hadn't.

That is how he swindled the money from me and the item as his bank indicated when I called that it was indeed one of their cashier's checks.  Of course, they didn't share "oh, by the way, it is no good" info, and I have confirmation that this lid committed bank fraud, a felony, along with mail fraud and internet fraud.

I sent letters with the documentation to Navy Federal Credit Union, security division and funds dispersement division along with one to NFCU's CEO, Cutler Dawson, alerting him that his bank has to change their policies regarding the handling of cashier's checks as this is a classic example of fraud all the way around.  This leaves the door open for fraud in using NFCU's cashier's checks.  I know of NO OTHER BANK that handles them in this manner.  You lose it, you have to wait before any funds are dispersed to anyone, period.  My bank makes you wait a period of time (like 30 days or more) so they can determine if the check has in fact been lost by never showing up.  Else, you have to take out a surety bond for THEIR protection (of fraud).  I can tell you, I won't bank with a rinky dink bank like NFCU that handles things this way!

I also sent a packet of information to the Pensacola Police, Internet Fraud Division to act upon or forward to the appropriate jurisidiction for Cantonment Florida.

Will also be sending a note to "mom and dad" alerting them to Junior's actions and criminal activities and then possibly following up with small claims for a whole lot more then what he scammed me for if that is possible with out of state issues.  That may be a lost cause but it is worth a try.  I figure $5K should get his attention.

Just hoping no one else fall victim to this criminal's behavior (KJ4TOF) on any of the swap sites.  Suggest no one respond to any posts of him selling, wanting to buy or any other posts on anything with his callsign attached to it (KJ4TOF). You don't want to get mixed up in his illegal activities in any way because he will be monitored. 

I suspect anyone that associates with him, is likely as they say, birds of a feather, flock together...

So beware and avoid and report!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:29:45 AM by Chris Hays » Logged
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 10:33:33 AM »

Hope you saved all of your correspondence with him for turning over to the police you did do that I hope. Lots of Federal, State and Local laws broken there

Be assured, I have it all, from the initial communications to teh threats and really off color stuff.  All recorded and sent off.  Yes, he has violated a host of laws and for one, I surely wouldn't even consider something as stupid as that as you don't know who will follow it up or when. Not something worth losing sleep over and attempting in the first place.  As stated early on, this individual displays classic personality and mental issues that may be causing all this, but still, if you can obtain an amateur radio license, you can act like an adult with integrity and honesty.  Perhaps that is expecting too much these days.  Perhaps our hobby is indeed going down hill rapidly.  I hope not.  Won't find me doing this to anyone, amateur op or not. 

I wasn't raised that way.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Billy: I am SO glad that you are following up so
thoroughly on this. This increasing amount of fraud in our
great hobby is really quite sad. We have (had?) a great worldwide
fellowship going. A ham used to never even think about
doing something like that to another ham.

One more outfit you might send your "Fraud Info Packet" to
is the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, since the fraud was
committed through the mail. People make jokes about the
competency of the Post Office, but the Postal Inspectors are
the real deal, a real federal LE agency with agents that carry
guns.

Re our fellowship: When I went to Madagascar
in 2000 I contacted one ham, Patrick 5R8EW, by email and
asked him what I needed to do to get a ticket and operate.
I contacted him completely out of the blue through a QRZ info search.
He did a lot of both footwork and paperwork to help me get my ticket,
obtain and fixup an older antenna into top notch condition, met me
at the airport and helped me get my gear through Customs,
and helped arrange an antenna party when I arrived. He also took
me to the PTT (their FCC) in order to have my transceiver checked for
spectral purity, as well as pickup the actual papers. Two trips.

During my visit my sister, who lived in Antananarivo, threw
a party for the local hams and other friends. A non ham asked
me how all my licensing, equipment and stuff was arranged and I told
her about Patrick. He turned to Patrick and asked him
"You did all of this for a perfect stranger? Why?"
He just replied "Why wouldn't I? We hams are all brothers,
he would do the same for me". The other 4 hams in the room nodded
sagely in agreement. This woman just couldn't believe this.
She was incredulous.

Sorry to get off topic, but I hope this increasing amount of
fraud in ham sales doesn't make our hobby "go downhill fast". Yet
I still worry.....Is it just a sign of the times and the plight
of the economy or something far more sinister?....
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2010, 09:26:19 AM »

Yeah, "Billy" KJ4TOF is a reall piece of work.  Scamming me and a disabled ham to be in the process.  I have additional avenues to pursue yet, just haven't had time to implement the action  yet. 

I remember some years ago, S79WHW, Bill. Heard him on 20 meters one day, chatted and we got to talking and he mentioned how living in the Seychelles, me missed a good fruit pie (i.e. apple cherry, etc.)

So I went to the store and bought 2 cans of pie filling, apple, peach, cherry.  I shipped it to him, uninsured, sure he wouldn't probably never get it.

Ran across him on the bands again later, some months later and it was his birthday and he had just rcvd the package just days before and how he went on.  Like a dying of thirst man getting his first cold drink.  That is what the hobby is about. Doing things for others rather then against then.  Of course, with TOF's upbringing, how knows. Perhaps the entire family is that way.  Not my problem.  Just wish crumbs like these wouldn't be in this fraternity/hobby.  Sure gives this hobby a black eye with the rotten apples I read about, frequently. 

Anyway, the post isn't off topic. It is about how others are suppose to be with other ops.  Just sad we have criminals amongst us....hopefully, not for long.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 05:19:53 AM »

Well, a month now and no money and no responses to e-mails or PMs....

Hoping to hear back on the investigation soon....I know it takes time, but would like to see some status...a amateur group here locally is pretty PO'd at this character too...so he is getting some recognition...just hope no one falls victim to this loser....

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 10:20:56 PM »

Did you send the equipment to his address listed on QRZ.com or was it a different shipping address?

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:37 PM »

His home address which I googled also...
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 04:55:41 AM »

Well, here is the latest update.  After sending letters with the evidence to the CEO of NFCU, their fraud division, their funds dispersement depart, the Pensacola PD and the local law enforcement of the county this scammer operates out of, I have yet to hear back but a mailing did come with another cashier's check from this scammer, no note, no letter, nothing, just a cashier's check. 

Even though I have already replaced the stolen funds, I took this "check" to a local NFCU branch and had them verify it was fully funded and cashed it.  So, I eventually got my stolen money back so applying heat did obviously cause some result. Not sure of the details and don't care.

Just a warning. Don't do business with this scammer.  Don't know what his issues or problems are, and frankly, don't care.  Not the way to operate on swap boards and certainly not the way to treat other individuals.  Either way, you won't see me buying or selling this scammer anything.

So, applying the right amount of heat does bring results it seems....

Be sure to have all your facts and evidence handy....and go for it.
ZF2RN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 11:13:53 AM »

On QRZ it states that W0BKR is the "QRZ Admin" for KJ4TOF.

So, you knew this person prior to all of this??

I am just a bit confused.

ZF2RN
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »

No

I looked up his info and clicked in the wrong field and it put my call in there. I rejected it but it still shows so I gave up.

No, I would never be someone else's admin for anything...and no, didn't know this character prior to all this hassle.
N7RST

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2010, 09:02:58 PM »

Well, since the heat was applied, we see nothing of him on the forums...glad to be done with this clown..sure like to have all the details....but whatever.....glad he isn't on the swap boards....at the moment..
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 07:27:47 AM »

Cashier's check fraud has been rampant for years.  IF you accept a cashier's check from anyone you must let it clear
your bank before shipping any merchandise....You can read a lot about the massive use of fraudulent cashiers checks
that have been used for Craig's list purchases going back almost 5 years now.

Greg
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: