About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QST's  (Read 2424 times)
WT8E

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »

What do you guys do with your old QST's.  I have every issue for Jan. 1976 to present, didn'tstart out as a collection but just kept them on the shelf.  Now the shelf is getting pretty full.  Do you have any luck donating them to the public library or do they even want them. I have seen a lot at hamfests but most end up dragging them home.

It's time to start downsizing and getting rid of some stuff.  Most of the clubs I know don't have any place to keep something like that for lack of room. I don't intend to provide individual isues to anyone just wanting to pick through them but would like to see someone get them that is beneficial to them or a group.
KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 01:02:01 AM »

Hmmm....I'll give them a good home. Mine!!
Shipping will be a killer though..
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 01:38:40 AM »

I built more shelves. My first issue as a member was Feb 1968, and now the collection goes from the mid-1920s to the present. Doesn't really take up all that much room.

73 de Jim, N2EY
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 05:16:18 AM »

I used to have subscriptions to CQ, Ham Radio, 73, and as an ARRL memeber received QST.  They all had interesting articles and I read and then reread them over the years (as I kept every issue).   A few years back I began to notice that at every Hamfest there were guys with stacks of years of QST for sale with few takers(often they were given away or tossed at the end of the affair).   I began to cull my own collection, keeping only the issues with interesting articles. 
A couple of weeks ago I went into the local ham store for something and picked up a CQ Magazine.
Since I hadn't read one in some time, I thought I might be missing something.  The only thing I was
missing was the $6 the CQ cost.  There wasn't ANYTHING! in it.  What a waste.  I still have issues of
CQ back when Wayne Green was editor that are still great reading.  My collection of 73 mag is mostly
intact (the issues from the 1970's are the best).  Ham Radio's are to be cherished.
QST is getting to be like CQ.  All construction articles are for some kit-like doo-dad or an antenna build-it article either without enough information or specifies too much detail.  Reading a QST usually takes no longer than turning the pages.
All ham radio magazines newer than the 1980's are largely a waste of time and money.  So why worry
about what to do with recent issues.  Older issues are often sold on eBay and elsewhere.
That's my take on it.

Allen
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 05:18:39 AM »

I got rid of all my older QST mags in favor of the CD set from ARRL. They wound up at the local dumb  Angry  Nobody wanted them. Schools don't, clubs don't, the local library doesn't and I got tire of hauling them back and forth from a hamfest.

WT8E

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 07:52:46 AM »

KF6QEF, yep , probably not cost effective.  Wonder how much 408 issues would weigh.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 08:19:56 AM »

I forgot to mention that for ARRL members all QST issues (except last four years) are online no cost.
Finding the issue you want is kind of persnickety at first.  The quality of some I've looked at isn't too good.  I get a kick out of the old April Fool articles by "Larcen E. Rapp"  W1OU , particularly the one about the stable VFO that he build that was so stable that it stayed on frequency after signing off to enable a long final.  Ah the good old days when the ARRL wasn't afraid that hams wouldn't be able to  tell that it was a bogus article without being told. 
Allen
W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 02:17:32 PM »

Recycle the paper and get QST on CD-ROM. Much easier to store than decades worth of dead trees.
KC9ATJ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 05:28:57 AM »

another idea would be to go to a VE session and hand out copies of QSTs that you don't want anymore.  Unless you know that it is going to be a big session, just take a dozen or so issues from different eras that you have in your collection and hand them out to people that pass the test.  Or you can bundle them up if you really want to get rid of them quickly.  If you hand it out when they are getting started, you might end up with someone that enjoys homebrewing or building antennas.

Just and idea

kc9atj
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 03:55:15 PM »

hi,

I leave back issues at our club meetings, doctor and dentist office,
hair cut place and hospital ER waiting rooms.

I put label on the issues with our club, arrl and eham websites url.

one of the ladies I work with at my pt job takes them to the VA hospital
where she works.

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: