Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Has this happened to you on EBay?  (Read 3771 times)
KG0MN

Ignore
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:06:48 PM »

I found an item that had been looking for and noticed that the shipping was higher than I thought it should be for a plain Bencher Straight Key ($16.50). The price I got it for was reasonable so I bid on it and won.  I won the auction and paid immediately with PayPal and I never got the key for 9 days.  So I left feedback which happened to be neutral and thought that would be the end of the transaction.  A few days later I get and email for the that seller wondering why I had wronged him so miserably by leaving neutral feedback.  I explained to him that just because I buy something it doesn't necessarily mean that I feel I paid a great price for it, I went on and told him that for a 3 pound item to ship from CT to MN non-insured via the Postal Service was a bit expensive and that was the reason for the neutral feedback.  Plus now with the USPS flat rate boxes it is one of the cheapest means of shipping currently.  After he received my email he sent me another email saying that he adding me to "we have added you to the national blocked bidders list to which we subscribe".  He goes on and tells me it is my fault because I never spoke to them before the feedback. Since when do I have to clear my feedback through the buyer?

So have you ever had anyone try to strong arm you into changing your feedback?

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »

One could wonder why you agreed to purchase the item if you thought the mailing cost was too high?

eBay mandates insured mailing now.

I recently mailed an album via media mail--$3.00 for mail and $1.75 to insure a $30 album.  The most eBay would allow to be charged for media mail was $4.00.

When I see something I'd to buy and I think the mailing cost is high, I always ask if the seller can mail at a lower rate before I bid or buy.

Bob

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 12:59:09 AM »

No it hasn't but when I stumble on items with excessive shipping I report them.

Most of the time the seller is obviously an avid reader or "How to make money on Ebay" and they are using the shipping charges as a way to add profit that Ebay "can't touch".

As for the national blocked bidders list....hmmm....interesting...Ok so maybe you are on a blocked list that sellers of dubious scruples subscribe to. I believe congratulations are in order then ! Smiley

As for the item, you can still report it or even look at the sellers other items and report the ones with excessive shipping.
Even better post the items with excessive shipping in the company reviews section and anyone/everyone  looking for a little distraction can report them to ebay. !!!

K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 07:19:21 AM »

As time goes on E-bay is getting to be a real joke - stay away. 73 Dave
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 08:01:05 AM »

This is a common occurance, especially among the "professional" eBay sellers. More money is made on shipping, in many cases, than on the merchandise itself.

I long ago stopped even browsing eBay.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »

I couldn't care less about eBay, but always suggest that if anything doesn't pass the smell test, one would be silly to bid on it.

$16.50 to ship a Bencher to Australia is about right.  Within the U.S., it isn't.

KG0MN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:39:17 PM »

To the person that asked if the shipping was high why would I bid on it?  Because the price I got the item for better than half price.  Like I told him I have bought things for other places that I needed or wanted and I know I paid to much for it but in America if you pay the bill you get the right to complain and warn other of shysters.  I'm just glad I got the Bencher Key for less than half the retail price.  You know if he had of asked me nice to to revise my remarks I might of, but when you send me four email whining and threatening me and then call my home four times you get me a little worked up.  So I went back last night and added a comment and revised it to unhappy.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

hi,

I would not worry about the 'national' list, who cares?
you'll never buy from him again.  he is just a sore seller.
zero communication earned him the neutral feedback.

on the other hand look at this bencher paddle,    300453439914,
open bid was .01 and it sold at that price,
the s/h from Canada is flat rate $49.95, way out of line.
Another guy called him on it in the message and the seller
brushed him off.

most of these high ship sellers make their money because
too many ebay buyers are infected with the
'Gotta Have it Buy It Now' fever and do not notice the high ship fees.

update:

When I sell on ebay I sell to all 50 states using priority mail flat rate cartons.
For International I use Global Priority Mail flat rate cartons.

73 james

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 07:55:39 PM by James » Logged
KL2TC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 10:45:07 PM »

Living in Alaska I get handled so bad on shipping it isn't funny.  Take a note on all of those shipping costs that specify "Lower 48 Only" or "Continental US Only".  Last time I checked we were still on the same continent and the USPS still offerred service to us.  The last radio I bought cost over $150.00 to ship.  Then, if someone ships parcel post it takes weeks to reach me.

I contacted Universal Radio and they won't ship USPS if the sell price is over $150.00.  So, let me see, say a FT-260 for $129.00 plus UPS $65.00 for shipping.  Good deal?  Where the hell else am I going to buy it?  If you think that you got a raw deal, how often do you think that I get "free shipping?"

Al
KL2TC
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »

I don't understand why someone wouldn't consider the entire cost of an item on eBay including the shipping. Huh

If the cost of shipping and the way it was going to be shipped was known before the bid was placed, how can someone complain about it?? Huh

If it wasn't known, then the buyer is at risk, but the buyer opened that door for himself.

Flat rate Priority mail is sometimes the best way to go but not always.
The smaller flat rate box is about $11 and the larger one is about $14 give or take.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:18:25 PM by Mike Herron » Logged
KG0MN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 10:24:34 AM »

K7MH you really need to learn to check your prices if I go to the USPS.gov web site it tells me that the small flat rate box ships for Domestic Rate: $4.85 with online pricing.  The medium box ships for Domestic Rate: $10.20 with online pricing and the large flat rate box Domestic Rate: $13.95 with online pricing.  Plus as I stated if I want the item and I realize it maybe over priced as long as I pay the seller for the item, I can warn others of his over priced shipping rates.
KE6ANM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2010, 10:54:56 AM »

well, I think you absolutely no leg to stand on, with the price for shipping, you saw it, you wanted it, you saw the shipping price, and you bought it.
It's called being responsible for your own actions.
If you thought the shipping was excessive you should have contacted eBay and filed a complaint.
And not rewarded his shipping price, by buying it.
It sounds as if you got a pretty good deal.
You said better then half price.
so that, is that.
On the other hand, you need to send his email about adding you to a national black list, to eBay customer service, that is a blatant violation of eBay policy.
and it's probably bull pucky  anyway.

Roll Eyes
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 03:01:45 PM »

K7MH you really need to learn to check your prices if I go to the USPS.gov web site it tells me that the small flat rate box ships for Domestic Rate: $4.85 with online pricing.  The medium box ships for Domestic Rate: $10.20 with online pricing and the large flat rate box Domestic Rate: $13.95 with online pricing.  Plus as I stated if I want the item and I realize it maybe over priced as long as I pay the seller for the item, I can warn others of his over priced shipping rates.
8-5/8" x 5-3/8" x 1-5/8" is what you get for the $4.95 rate.
I was thinking in terms of the the deeper more square-ish sized boxes.
There are also 2 sizes of the medium boxes, one being more the size of a large book.
With something of that size/weight it may be better to ship it regular priority mail in a somewhat larger box, it might cost about the same though. Could probably go first class pretty inexpensively as well.
Some people just use one kind of shipping and any of the priority mail boxes are shipped to anyone for free as are stickers, labels etc.
I have shipped about a thousand items so it isn't new to me. I would however, use the least expensive way that the buyer wants to use and only charge what it costs at the counter. Several times in the past I just guessed what it would cost and stung myself pretty hard but I'll eat that if I do, just the way it goes sometimes.
I refund any overpayment if I quoted it too high. It's easy enough to do with Paypal.
As far as "blacklists" go, that's a joke. All he can really do is block you from bidding on his items in the future which probably won't happen anyway.
Anyway, enjoy the key!! Smiley
« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 03:08:49 PM by Mike Herron » Logged
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 09:57:07 AM »

I've had several similar experiences on eBay where I've "won" bids and got royally ripped off on the shipping charges.  In one case I provided feedback of a negative nature regarding the vendor and got a really nasty e-mail from the vendor.  I don't even look at eBay any more.  Those folks better get their act together or this "shipping charge" racket will really hurt them.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:25 PM »

I had a low bid on a small item and was the only bidder,
seller want to charge $24 s/h.

Told him I'll pay $12 tops, use flat rate small carton and
he still makes a profit but he said no way.

Told him I will not pay for the item and that I have all his
emails  he sent to me.  He never left any feedback and neither did  I.

73 james
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: