Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: usb to serial adapter  (Read 1206 times)
KC4FCN

Ignore
« on: December 12, 2008, 07:02:15 AM »

i have a simple interface ive used for yrs to key my rig thru the cw plug from a serial port on the computer using cw type.my new computer has no serial port so i bought a usb to db9 adapter and loaded the drivers..the computer recognizes the usb when i plug it in and all looks ok,but when i set the com port in cw type to match it doesnt key the rig.does anyone know if this usb adapter will work for this?any help is appreciated.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

hi Bruce,

if you go into the property of the USB defined Com Port you may be able to set what com port you want it to be defined as.

73 james
KC4FCN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 03:47:52 PM »

hi james...yes i set the comm port in cwtype to match the comm port im plugged in to.i looked in the devices window and can see my usb adapter is plugged in as comm port 4. i also tried plugging into a different usb on the computer.the computer recognizes the adapter and displays the comm port number depending on which usb plug i use.
im wondering if the usb adapter will key my radio like the serial port did?
i see many posts about windows vista and usb problems and wonder if i need another usb adapter?
thanks for your help
 bruce
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 06:07:46 PM »

hi Bruce,

is the interface using power from the
serial port on the old computer ?

the usb port may not have that power
level available.

73 james
KC4FCN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2008, 10:26:26 AM »

im not sure james...the interface has some type of glue or sealer over it and i cant see how it works.if it does,i guess the voltage levels would be different thru the usb adapter wouldnt they?

thanks for your help
bruce
N8UZE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2008, 06:41:51 AM »

It may be the particular driver for the usb to serial adapter.  I had to "roll back" the driver on the OM's computer after an update as the new one would not function correctly to send CW but the old one did.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »

Although they're called "adapters" USB-to-Serial devices actually are software emulations of a Serial (RS-232) port.

They're all different and some will work with some RS-232 devices but not others.

So...

Try a different brand of USB-to-Serial adapter.

Or...

Try using a Serial Card -- goes into a PCI slot on a desktop system or into a PCMCIA slot on a laptop.

Again, they're emulations, so you may have to try a couple until you find one that works with your cw keying device.

Good luck.

Mel - KS2G

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2008, 07:54:16 AM »

Hi,

the keyspan adapter has received good reviews
on eham

http://www.keyspan.com/products/usa19hs/

73 james
KC4FCN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2009, 07:14:06 AM »

thanks for the help...ill try another one.

bruce
K5MBV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 11:57:15 AM »

Don't buy another USB to serial adapter. None of them
can key your rig. There aren't enough control pins.

In order to operate the digital modes I found that without
a serial port I had to buy a Tigertonics SignaLink interface
that developed the keying signal by using an internal VOX.

By the way, this works just fine.

Ken  K5MBV
KI6LO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »

Not sure why you would say "None of them work". Have you tried everyone in existance?

The IOMEGA GUC232A-based USB to Serial adapter works just fine to key CW on several of my PCs, laptops and desktop alike. It also works just fine for the CAT interface too. I run a pair of these adapters for full CAT / PTT (RTTY & Digital) / CW interface on a non-RS232 supplied mobo configuration.

Gene KI6LO
KC4FCN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 07:57:12 AM »

i bought another usb adapter from keyspan and it worked perfectly!!
thanks for the help

bruce
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »

You can alway purchase a Serial Port card for your PC (/rant - unless it's a laptop, but then why would anyone use a laptop in a fixed location - not what they're designed for - /rant).

Google 'serial cards'.  I've installed 2 and 4 port models in both my PCs in the shack.  Ends all problems with compatibility and using rotator/TNC/Rig/whatever connections over an adapter/emulator.  Cost is minor, the 4 port one I got is a half height card with both full and half height brackets for under $60.  Start at www.newegg.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: